Greenhouse #2 Construction

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DG is decomposed granite. Or crushed granite. It can be compacted to make garden paths, running surfaces etc. Any outdoor area that will get foot traffic.

I've been working hard and put together 2 of my 4 custom, redwood ebb and flow benches that will be used for phrags. I have two more. I'm contemplating putting one or both outside and growing carnivorous plants in them. Or I may put one more inside the g.h. or both inside and ditch the plans to build a 3 ft. stationary bench on the right. I don't know...I'm wavering. The flow benches are too low. I would raise the one in the middle on piers. I *think* these benches were originally designed for a tall, cash crop, if you know what I mean <wink, wink>. I don't know if the heater will fry my plants the way it's located. I does come with a blower and I could aim fans, but that's something I'll have to see, I guess. It's all a huge experiment anyway, as I have never used ebb and flow benches. I have the huge plastic liners in the garage. The idea of the cut-outs is to provide for the pipes to drain and fill, I guess. Anyway, thought I'd post an update. Each table is 4 ft. wide by 8 ft. long to get an idea of size. Very large.

img6078a.jpg

img6081h.jpg

Yes it is. I still have to install the outside vent, and the blower. It's non functioning at the moment. But, getting it mounted took me a while.

I imagine yours is a different model #. As this one, although brand new, is over 10 years old.

Are you getting the blower?

I would love to grow Disas, Eric. But we get way too hot in the summer for them. Here they're pronounced as the S. Africans pronounce them, "DIEsas'.

Ebb and flow isn't going to help on the days here when it's 115 out and the g.h. goes above 90. It won't cool them that much. The only folks that can keep disas alive when temps go up in the summer are using cooling units of some kind. Like old refrid. set-ups. I love my orchids, but don't grow any cool growing species. There are simply too many warm growers out there to love that are way easier and much more rewarding;>

I think Ed M, a member here, did this and posted some of his photos on the OSF. From what I remember he disassembled an old ref. and ran water through it somehow to cool it. But, I *think* somehow it stopped working and his plants went bye-bye. If he sees this, maybe he can correct me!

Candace, you need to move to San Francisco. Tempuratures in the mid-fifties are no problem, particularly in the summer. :wink:

Candace, you need to move to San Francisco. Tempuratures in the mid-fifties are no problem, particularly in the summer. :wink:

I know...but I like my elbow room. I do envy some of the cool growers you Bay area folk grow. But, then I get over it and buy some warmer growing plants that will love me.

This thread just flat-out DISGUSTS me.

"Larger" greenhouse isn't bad enough; You have to go with "second".

I've drunk all my wine, so I'm going to go cry myself to sleep now.

Latest posts

Back