Greenhouse #2 Construction

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candace

Reaction score
I thought I'd start a thread for my g.h. #2 construction. There's finally some activity. It's only been sitting disassembled on my back patio for a year. :eek: I staked out the footer measurements some time ago, but have been dinking with DH about renting a trencher. We started digging it by hand since the recent rains have softened the ground quite a bit. It's about 75% dug. I still have to move a couple of water lines that are in the way. I was hoping we'd finish all the digging this weekend, but it looks like rain is going to ruin that plan. I'll post some more photos as it progresses.

The finished measurements will be 14' 3 3/4" x 18' 7 1/8". I bought a kit on Craigs list from someone who had it stored for 10 years(never assembled) and had moved to a house with a back yard too small for putting it up. It originally was bought from Charley's, but was manufactured by B. C. Greenhouses. My current g.h. is 12' x 18' so this new one will give me much needed space. Wish me luck because it's so old that there are no directions and I'm having to put together a puzzle.

footer.jpg

OH,That must be so exciting for you! I am so jealous. I wish i had my own greenhouse.....well at least I get to work in my bosses greenhouse....

Robert

Now that it's actually broken ground, I'm more excited about it. It's been an ugly, eyesore on the patio for a long time, which hasn't pleased me.

Yes, I'm building it myself. Though, we may hire out the 2 ft. block wall. and we've got an electrician friend, who owes us some favors, to do the electrical. I'm crossing my fingers there aren't any major parts missing.

oh how exciting... i'm so envious... can't wait to see the final product... so what are you gonna put in it? All bessae's?

My compliments for your courage Candace!!!! Digging by hand is a hard work because the ground is never soft enough :); I remember building a large part of the shell / bare brickwork (don't know which one of the terms is the correct one:eek:) of my house over 30 years ago! But now you have the start done :clap: ; please keep us updated (nice dimensions btw). Jean

Well, the rain stayed away today and hubby dug out most of the trenches. Probably 90% done now. He's got blisters on his blisters:< True love. I pulled something in my lower back this week so was out of commission. I still have to move the water lines but will be ready to pour the footers soon. I'll take another picture.

I'm planning on setting up the 4 6ft. flow tables I've got in my garage for phrags in the sunniest areas. But this g.h. will be shaded by neighbor's redwoods and I was planning on using at least 50% of it for my paphs and seedlings. I've got some paphs that suffer in my current g.h. from too much light.

Candace, thats quite the undertaking!
PS. I got my Joyce Hasegawa 'Sierra' division. Its HUGE. Like 8 growths or something! Damn, I didn't expect it to be so big :rollhappy: Now thats money well spent. I also got a 2-2-1 growth stonei v. concolor in bud. For the price, I couldn't pass it up! I'll post pics soon.
Good luck with the GH. Id come and help if I were a little closer :poke: though electrical and plumbing aren't my strong points :(

Very nice, and quite an adventure. Doing it yourself is more fun! I'm afraid that too much shade will be an issue for me when I build my greenhouse.

UPDATE:

Hubby spent today finishing up the trenches. 100% done. I moved one water line and need to move 1 more. Next step pouring the footer. Maybe next weekend if the weather co-operates? Anyone want some dirt? ;>

footer2.jpg

Latest posts

Back