Greenhouse #2 Construction

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ray, I may be crying myself to sleep next winter when all the extra electric and gas bills come rolling in. Save some wine for me. Oh wait. I may need something a bit stronger than wine.

So, hears the saga!! I'm rather perturbed. Get this! The plumber gave me his estimate to attach my already installed heater to the propane tank. Mind you, all he has to do is drill a hole through the block and attach a pipe to the heater and the tank located right near it on the outside of my g.h. And then attach the flue that is already there. $1,200. Suuuuuuuure. He'll be getting my business. No digging or trenching and probably 2-3hrs. work maximum. Looks like someone up above does not want me getting g.h. #2 up and running:<

So, hears the saga!! I'm rather perturbed. Get this! The plumber gave me his estimate to attach my already installed heater to the propane tank. Mind you, all he has to do is drill a hole through the block and attach a pipe to the heater and the tank located right near it on the outside of my g.h. And then attach the flue that is already there. $1,200. Suuuuuuuure. He'll be getting my business. No digging or trenching and probably 2-3hrs. work maximum. Looks like someone up above does not want me getting g.h. #2 up and running:<

Sounds like some easy work you could do yourself for cheap. You can usually rent tools (like a drill to go through the block) from Home depot if you don't already have them and don't want to purchase.

It's not the hole in the wall that's the issue. The pipe needs to be done by a professional as the parts aren't available locally and they probably need soldering. I'm a very handy person and this has stumped me. The plumber even commented that he'd have to do some investigating and detective work to locate the right fittings. But, I've got someone else coming out and I'm going to keep getting estimates. Really, I wouldn't mind paying $250-$300 for the job. But, this plumber has been smoking something and distorted his real world vision.

Get another one. That guy is a crook! :arrr:It cost me less than $300 for the gas company to deliver a large propane tank, install it, connect it to the same kind of heater, put the flue and the thermostat on the wall, check everything and all in one hour and a half of work or so. The biggest bill was the heater itself and filling the tank with propane. :p

Get another one. That guy is a crook! :arrr:It cost me less than $300 for the gas company to deliver a large propane tank, install it, connect it to the same kind of heater, put the flue and the thermostat on the wall, check everything and all in one hour and a half of work or so. The biggest bill was the heater itself and filling the tank with propane. :p

Yup, that's along the lines of what I was expecting. I asked the company for a break down of their estimate, but so far they've not responded. Sounds like they really didn't want the business. No matter, have someone else coming tomorrow to take a look!

The plumber might be building a greenhouse for his orchid collection. So he probably needs some extra cash.

Yup, that's along the lines of what I was expecting. I asked the company for a break down of their estimate, but so far they've not responded. Sounds like they really didn't want the business. No matter, have someone else coming tomorrow to take a look!

Maybe you got hung up on Joe the Plumber. :poke:

Ha! You're probably right! He proceeded to tell my husband that he knows his bid is "high" but that he'd warrantee it for 2 years and his business has been around for 20 years yada, yada yada. Sheesh. This isn't plumbing my whole house for frickin' sake, it's a 2ft. pipe to my tank. Ppppbbbt.

I agree with Shiva -- when we were looking to hook plumbing up to my greenhouse, one plumber's bid was $4000 more than another!

What this tells me is that either they don't want the job or they're completely guessing on the labor involved (hours) which would mean they have no idea how to do the job. In any case, no thanks!!!

If the guy is getting 50-60hrs. per week, year round, there is no need to low bid.
Lack of competition in your area?

Interesting thought, Clark. I think there are plenty needing the work in this economy, though. With most of the building halted in this area due to the economy, I'll just make sure I give the job to someone who actually wants it:>

Woohoo. Hired the person today. $400 is quite a bit lower! Next week, I'll have my heater operational! Right in the nick of time for Spring when I won't need it:>

Back