Does this growth habit mean anything?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morja

Reaction score
The new growth on my paph. Delenatii has big variation in the size of its first and second leaves! (The third is still growing so should be ignored for now.) Is this normal?
I also noticed it's growing much slower now that nights occasionally dip down to 50s, and typical day temps are in 60s or low 70s. I know these like it warm! I may get my seedling warming mat out for it, but it's just big and a pain to use so I haven't yet. Would that make growth go quicker again you think?
I added extra light about 2 months ago, it was barely getting any this summer but still grew faster than it is now. Of course, it may have had some extra energy from being in the greenhouse. I bought it in August I think.
The third growth has barely grown. It tried to start a root a few months ago, which I didn't see in time and didn't have adequately covered in moss so it dried out aborted. Hoping it grows more!
Picture of a week after I got it (Sept 2 2023) vs now (Feb 22 2024):
Screenshot_20240222_124612_Photos.jpg
20240222_123755.jpg

It looks like a Paphiopedilum delenatii ‘alba’ to me. I have grown a couple of clones of that under lights. In both cases they made a few new growths at the same time and kind of presented themselves as “clumpy growers”. As such they grew slower for me and the leaves did not get as long as the colored varieties.
Hope that helps you!

I don’t see any anthocyanin pigment in the foliage at all. Look very green and white or green and pale yellow.

It looks like a Paphiopedilum delenatii ‘alba’ to me. I have grown a couple of clones of that under lights. In both cases they made a few new growths at the same time and kind of presented themselves as “clumpy growers”. As such they grew slower for me and the leaves did not get as long as the colored varieties.
Hope that helps you!

I don’t see any anthocyanin pigment in the foliage at all. Look very green and white or green and pale yellow.
You are correct! It is an alba.

Nights dipping into the 50s should be no problem for delenatii, I think it is considered to be intermediate rather than warm? At least that is my experience.

Nights dipping into the 50s should be no problem for delenatii, I think it is considered to be intermediate rather than warm? At least that is my experience.
It's not even every night, just occasional. I just feel like it's growing slower than before so I thought that might be why. Maybe not though!

Latest posts

Back