Greenhouse #2 Construction

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OOOOO - AAAAAh!
I'm curious on your decision of the placement of the louvered windows?

OOOOO - AAAAAh!
I'm curious on your decision of the placement of the louvered windows?

I got the kit used(although new) so I had no input into its design. Though the glass, louvered windows, will be bench height. So breezes would be near the plants. But, unless I were to get screening, I doubt they'll be used much. I really don't want my plants being pollinated at random;> Same as the metal, electric louvers. If I choose to hook those up and automate them, I'd have to get screens. Our humidity is so low here in the summers I don't even use my exhaust fan in my current one. So, I think many of the 'extras' in this g.h. will go unused. The person who originally bought this kit lived in Oregon.

Very nice Candace. It looks very much like my greenhouse, except for the louvers and the longer span. I notice also that you didn't go for air vents on top. Good choice! I have four and found them quick to open even with low temperature inside. I've siliconed them shut. I guess you left them out for fear of bugs coming in. In my case, I shut them out to save on heating bills, which are much less of a problem where you live. :drool:

Very nice Candace. It looks very much like my greenhouse, except for the louvers and the longer span. I notice also that you didn't go for air vents on top. Good choice! I have four and found them quick to open even with low temperature inside. I've siliconed them shut. I guess you left them out for fear of bugs coming in. In my case, I shut them out to save on heating bills, which are much less of a problem where you live. :drool:

My other g.h. has upper vents like yours. I don't care for them either. They don't manually open so it's fine. Next is trenching for the water line, leveling the floor a bit and putting in the floor. I've pretty much decided on large concrete pavers. I hate my current gravel floor. I'm hoping I like pavers better.

This is a pretty impressive structure. What is the plastic on the walls? Polycarbonate?

That is an amazing house, can't wait to see it full. Now I want one.......

Actually, I'd be more worried if I grew inside with tons of lights - energy use like that truly is monitored more than small greenhouses.
When getting a warrant, the electric bill is compared to the neighbors.

Great looking greenhouse. So envious...

This is a pretty impressive structure. What is the plastic on the walls? Polycarbonate?

That is an amazing house, can't wait to see it full. Now I want one.......

Yes, it's polycarb. Just like my other one. I think twin wall as our winters aren't bad.

Well, a good electrician can be hard to find. If he's good keep him...I had to wait about 6-9 months for mine. And he's so awesome I'd do it again. He did much of the wiring for the UCDavis greenhouses, so he's worth his weight in platinum.

Here's the finished floor. I decided just to lay more decomposed granite. I was going to do cement pavers, but since there was already DG there to start with (old play area for my kids) I made the decision to just get a few more yards delivered and compact it. It seems to hold humidity maybe even better than my other g.h.'s gravel floor. If it doesn't work out I can add pavers later. I'm hanging the wall mount, gas heater today. I'm just waiting for hubby to get home to help me lift it up. Crossing fingers it holds:> Benches are next!

img60692.jpg

Latest posts

Back