Greenhouse #2 Construction

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just have to share this with you. I asked the first plumber for a break-down of his estimate, because I was curious to see what in the heck he was thinking. The break down is still uber vague...no expected hours listed etc. But, I could NOT believe he was actually including in the estimate the following charges! Give me a break! The "small" profit made is supposed to pay for his advertising and operational costs! This really cracks me up! I've never seen an estimate so full of crap! Oh, and I was also supposed to be in charge of buying his masonry bit. What the heck!!

Hi Candace,

Here is the breakdown you requested for the proposed work to be done.

Parts: ½ inch gas pipe, gas pipe fitting, regulator, gas valve with flexible supply line, propane tank strapping kit, and masonry drill bit together at a retail price of $350 with $680 to cover labor portion…..$1,030

If you want to upgrade to a dual tank system.

Parts: Automatic regulator and an additional strapping kit at a retail price of $150 with $125 to cover extra labor…..$275

The retail price along with the labor cost also covers:
Tech time on-site performing job
Tech time off-site gathering materials and restocking truck
Health and dental insurance for all employees
Worker’s compensation insurance
Liability insurance
Auto insurance
Fuel costs
Truck maintenance
Warranties
Advertising
Licensing
Utility costs and facility maintenance
Office personnel
A small profit so our business can continue to grow and provide the best Plumbing and HVAC service to a wider area along with serving you into the future.

Again, thank you for the opportunity to serve you.

I still need an evap. cooler but was hoping to pick one up on sale or via Craigs List. All my other systems, fans, misters etc. can be installed as I need them.

Dental insurance?
:rollhappy:

I fear his business will remain small with that kind of thinking. :crazy:

I love it!!!! But to a degree it is the truth!

I know that some businesses will 'inflate' cost for small jobs. Even a 15 minute job will cost a business more than a several hour job. The bit was overboard as that really is part of overhead - unless it is a rare commodity or of an unusual nature.

Candace, you may be between a rock and a hard place to find someone to do it reasonably, although keep searching. Its a tuffie out there and getting tuffer. This may also be something that you will eventually have to do yourself - cost maybe too prohibitive otherwise. Do hope you get your greenhouse up and running though. I know you've waited and worked along time on it.

Chances are the first guy is actually running his business legally. Paying all the taxes and fees that California imposes on business.

Chances are the lower priced guy skips a few of his societal responsibilities.

Chances are really good that the masonry bit will be destroyed drilling the hole. Steel is not what it used to be.

Yes, 2 years later I'm finally moving plants in. There has been one set back after another with the construction and systems of this g.h. I still don't have the heater operational, but will get on that before winter. I installed the evap. cooler last month but had to completely re-wire it (long story) which took some time. I also had to build the support bench for it as no one sells supports anymore. Ack. More time. I built the benches from scratch (again time) and finished the under bench misters last week.

I'm slowly moving plants over as I repot. Right now, it's mainly the monster cattleyas and other specimen plants that take up so much room in g.h. #1. I still have lots to do, but at least I'm in:>
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/825/img70512.jpg
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/696/img70502.jpg
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/545/img70462.jpg
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/703/img70422.jpg
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/189/img70412.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7051.jpg
    IMG_7051.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_7050.jpg
    IMG_7050.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_7046.jpg
    IMG_7046.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_7042.jpg
    IMG_7042.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7041.jpg
    IMG_7041.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 18
Yup. I saved the paint buckets from when we had our house painted. They're so heavy, I don't think this will be something I'll repeat. But, I have like 5 or 6 that I threw some larger catts in. I don't know how long they'll survive in the UV light, either. We'll see.

Where'd ya get the swamp cooler? I wound up getting one from Grainger for too much money and only 1 panel lifts off, making maintaining the wood fibers a real pain. BTW, all the one's I've ever owned hang from the wall with chains...

Where'd ya get the swamp cooler? I wound up getting one from Grainger for too much money and only 1 panel lifts off, making maintaining the wood fibers a real pain. BTW, all the one's I've ever owned hang from the wall with chains...

I bought it on sale at Lowes. My other cooler has a steel stand that I purchased with it. So, when I went hunting to buy a stand and found I couldn't buy one any longer I had to make my own. It cost me about $30 in materials. I didn't want it hanging by chains from the g.h.

This issue with the cooler was this....it came with a remote contol unit. No problem, I thought. Wrong. I installed it, cut the lexan to fit it, etc. and found out that the remote control feature of the unit couldn't be used with a thermostat. Basically, you had to physically hit that on button or it would not turn on when the thermostat kicked in. So, with some back and forth with the company, they sent me an $80 kit to completely rewire it, so that it no longer is controlled by the remote and is now hooked up to the thermostat. I would have returned the unit if I hadn't already completely installed it and had cut the lexan to fit it. It took me almost a full day of growling and cussing to get the job done, but it now works great. It seems like every step in this g.h. has been that way. One step forward, 3 back. I still need to get the heater connected to a thermostat properly and get my R.O. system and flow tables going. But, I'd say it's 90% complete. Whew. 2 greenhouses is plenty. If I ever talk of a 3rd, someone beat me about the head and face.

My hat's off to you Candace. That's a lot of work. The motor blew in the cooler I got from Grainger on 6/21 - the hottest day this year tho today's gonna be hotter. (Head's up, the Carquinez breezes won't be blowing your way). That tested the limits of my ability to repair the dang thing. That's when I took the siding off the GH and became a believer in what Dennis Olivas has been preaching all these years. Of course I mostly grow cattleyas so I'm wondering - apart from keeping thrips at bay - why have a GH at all? Then I look at my Masdevallias and think 'Oh yeah... that's why...', *G*

But anyway, my congrats on the GH project and knowing how to fix it.

Just wondering, what is the manufacturer of the Grainger cooler you bought? My other cooler is 11 years old and is still going strong. Let me guess it was just out of warrantee, right?

Candace, so glad to see you moving into the 'new' greenhouse. It was a long haul as they say but well worth it. Once you get in and sort everyone out your going to be relieved. Enjoy and 'bathe' in your newly finished project!

Latest posts

Back