future hurricane forecasting in the u.s.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
... could very well be in big trouble if what I heard on the radio is true. I was listening to a radio broadcast this morning, and it was stated that much of the weather satellite systems that are used to watch and forecast weather systems for the u.s. are very old. many are about to be de-commissioned according to their life schedule, and there are currently no plans for putting new ones in the pipeline. the american systems of modeling had recently been compared unfavorably in comparison to systems used by europe and england.

the noaa or the american national weather service has stated publicly that they operate on a thin budget and have been praised for being able to do that they do with what they have, but it very well looks like what prediction they are able to do will start taking a long hit. if you live in a coastal area where oceanic storms are common, I would be very wary when hurricane seasons are underway, because it may soon become a very chancy thing to know just where the storms will go, if the satellite systems aren't updated.

it was pointed out how much damage there was from the two big storms these last two years, dollar-wise, and how that compared to the budget of the weather forecasting service. damages were quite a bit more than the costs of the weather prediction service. it was also pointed out how much more dramatic the loss of life would have been, if there had not have been a forecast putting the storm on the track it took, so that at least some people and groups could do some planning

though it is needed to cut spending in government, it is not good sense to not spend the money to protect the populace who pay taxes. .....unless government doesn't care what happens to these people.

being penny-wise and dollar foolish is what the radio announcer stated...

I, a US citizen, have also heard this. It's sad if it is indeed true... I hope and pray that they will reconsider this policy!!!

We need to understand that this is the result of the stalemate in gov't. The Republicans refuse to raise taxes -- all they want to do is cut spending. This is part of spending.

I think the government should stop funding NASA so that it can find aliens on Mars and put the money to good use through other NASA research that will help us now on earth.

We need to understand that this is the result of the stalemate in gov't. The Republicans refuse to raise taxes -- all they want to do is cut spending. This is part of spending.

The Republicans will have to change their tune. They did everything to prevent Obama's Second term, and failed. Now demographics are evolving in Democrats favor. In four years, Hillary Clinton will likely be candidate for the presidency. If she does, she will get all of Obama's support and more women support along with many whites who voted Republican for various reasons, including racism. And that's not considering the looming fight between ''leftist'' Republicans and the far right Tea Party. It's gonna be fun to watch. Bring out the popcorn.:rollhappy:

"Fun"?!!!! ROFL... Not if you live in the US!!!!

Personally, with all personal political thoughts aside, I was devastated that our government appeared to do so little other than fight each other and block everything for the past 4 years. Whatever happened to compromising and working for the good of the people?!!!! I do understand that some people may feel the blocking was necessary to protect or help the people, but personally I was disappointed that there was absolutely no compromising and working to an agreement from all sides. Perhaps we as a nation have become so adverse that working together for the common good is no longer an option? I don't know... I'm just seriously saddened by the last 4 years and the way the government has handled things. Of course, I'm further saddened by the last 15 years or so of our government as well... So when does the reality show start for our government?! Don't know and don't care, but they are all so hyper focused on drama it's like watching one of those shows...

um, this is supposed to be about dealing with weather... let's leave all of the political crap in the dustbin since the election is over. tons of money went to special concerns and big business, with all the supposed 'blocking' going on we've been able to get further and further in debt. some of that debt money could be going to the systems that watch our weather and they have not. that is what this is about.

there will always be unhappy people when it comes to having too many people who place their faith and trust in the political system; people need to step away from their television sets and all the talking heads, and work more on helping to improve their communities, not crab about everything and expect handouts

Again, all political thoughts aside, my point was that for the better of all in the US, the government is more concerned about fighting the things that shouldn't matter as are loosing sight if those that do. I agree, they need to be funneling money into protecting us through better weather monitoring systems, etc... Sorry if that came out wrong.

Again, all political thoughts aside, my point was that for the better of all in the US, the government is more concerned about fighting the things that shouldn't matter as are loosing sight if those that do. I agree, they need to be funneling money into protecting us through better weather monitoring systems, etc... Sorry if that came out wrong.

paul, you didn't say anything wrong.... thank you for your point and concern. it was as genuine opinion that was nicely stated and you made a good observation and contribution to the thread

okay, one of the things that got me going after a long day yesterday was the usual 'play the blame game on the opposing party', which is a very old story and doesn't need to be repeated all the time, (respectfully submitted). it looks like it was naturally assumed that I was saying, 'the obama administration has fallen down and is letting our weather forecasting/hurricane prediction ability fall by the wayside'. this may or may not be true.

the point is, sending satellites into space for whatever reason takes planning and a healthy period of time. if something hasn't been in the pipeline in recent history, then it's because that during the bush administration, it wasn't budgeted and put into the planning stage. this could either be that bush and company didn't want to do this, or that they did want to but as I remember the reverse of today was the democrats blocking the republicans wherever they could. please do not post that 'this is not true'.. simply look at voting records. also if there are no weather satellites in the planning/launching stage right now, then it is true that obama and company have either placed no interest in doing so, or they have been trying and have been blocked by the republicans.

point - it's either not important to them, since it won't make any of them money, or they just don't care. as a case in point, the present administration had free reign to do just about whatever they wanted for two years; just look at the health care reform bill; strictly a democrat plan and vote. many other plans that were strictly democrat votes in favor were put into place, and in more recent times executive orders have been being signed left and right as if someone were doing a book signing at the local mall, so if it were important to people higher up it would have happened.

so, likely the higher ups in either direction don't care if the weather satellites aren't replaced, and we end up in danger because of a future lack of hurricane predictability.... this means instead of just saying, 'it's the fault of the 'other' party, everyone should be identifying things that are important to all of us (and not to all of them), and working our elected officials over until they get off of their butts and do what they should be doing. who cares if big banks get their bailout etc.... I would rather that my friends and family, who are all repubs and demos and everything else, were safe

true; while the storm was heading up the coast, I was thinking about 'old days' when someone could be watching clouds on the coast and it would start getting breezy... how would someone know just what to expect and imagine the damage for people who were completely unprepared. .. also I have heard that the atlantic ocean is quite a graveyard for ships because of such lousy weather that can be found there from time to time. as we saw even with good forecasting, a ship was still in the vicinity of the storm and lost, when it could possibly have been 'put somewhere else'

i think we have too much knowledge, and not enough sense to know that some things should be left alone, or to understand things before messing with them, and are too quick to take new things and try to find ways to either make huge bucks or get the upper hand over others

'the human heart is wicked; who can know it??' (don't remember who that quote is from)

Don't always believe what you hear on the "Talk" radio shows. If memory serves me right... A $1.5 billion weather satellite went up last year. It's going to replace all the outdated ones and be part of a $12 billion joint satellite system going up around 2017. In fact I saw some of the HD time lapse images from Sandy on CNN or MSNBC.... Very cool shots from outer space. Gave me a great since of how big the storm really was.

I agree... Lets keep the politics out of the forums boards. We have done a great job doing so up to this point.

the above is very good to hear! don't know why someone who was so misinformed would be broadcasting on a college station, seeing how colleges are supposed to be disseminators of 'facts' and not whatever was being broadcast

Latest posts

Back