Flower Variation With a Complex Cross

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Part of the fun in making a complex cross is the seeing the wide variation in flowers compared to species and primary crosses. The first flowers of Paph (Mary Zdilla X [charlesworthii x Memoria George A. Benedict]) just bloomed this year. Below are the parents:

Mary Zdilla = exul x Tyke, Tyke = barbigerum x henryanum
PaphexulxTyke1plant-3.jpg

(charlesworthii x Memoria George A Benedict) Mem. GA Benedict = Lizz Greenlees x Merce Lou Audino
PaphcharlesxMemGBenedictplant09-3.jpg

Great set of flowers, Ross! Interesting, how the pollen parent has softened the colours in all the progeny.

I can see what Ross was attempting but Ross, did you check the dominance of the parents in Mary Zdilla in previous applications ??

I forgot to mention that all are blooming in 2 1/4 or 3 1/2 inch pots. They're not true miniatures, but are definitely compact. As for dominance of bad traits, the pinched dorsal of barbigerum seems to have been bred out by the third generation. However, the petals of exul seem to be dominant, which still needs to be overcome in this line. When crossed to niveum, the petal problem of Mary Zdilla improves, but I have not yet been able to make a cross using Paph Little Bright Eyes (niveum x Mary Zdilla).

PaphLittleBrightEyes4-2.jpg

I forgot to mention that all are blooming in 2 1/4 or 3 1/2 inch pots. They're not true miniatures, but are definitely compact. As for dominance of bad traits, the pinched dorsal of barbigerum seems to have been bred out by the third generation. However, the petals of exul seem to be dominant, which still needs to be overcome in this line. When crossed to niveum, the petal problem of Mary Zdilla improves, but I have not yet been able to make a cross using Paph Little Bright Eyes (niveum x Mary Zdilla).

The example cross you wish to achieve is very nice Ross. Do you wish to introduce a plant that requires more specific growing requirements than the plants your currently using ? or hybrid from it that fit the growth requirements.
These usually carry the hybrid factor which are generally much easier to grow in a wid range of conditions.

are you keeping any of these? are any of them up to your standards to continue to use in your program? I think this is a reminder to those of us doing some hybridizing of just how difficult it is - how many you need to flower out to get a keeper...I like the 4th one... :)

are you keeping any of these? are any of them up to your standards to continue to use in your program? I think this is a reminder to those of us doing some hybridizing of just how difficult it is - how many you need to flower out to get a keeper...I like the 4th one... :)

The fourth is worth keeping because of the dorsal and it is one of the first bloomers. Fast blooming and vigorous growth are also characteristics I want to breed, so if I don't get anything decent in the first or second bloom cycle, I generally don't plan to breed on with the cross. A nice flower may never be seen if the plant takes 10 years to bloom. This is all still a very new experience for me and I still have a lot to learn as I have only been hybridizing since 2002.

Thanks a lot for showing these pics, Ross!
This way we all can learn a little bit about the difficulties of hybridizing. I always love to see all the variation of one cross.
The dilute colors and the pink pouch are not my cup of tee, but #4 may be an improvement over the P. (charlesworthii x Memoria George A. Benedict). But I'm even not sure here, because the photos could mislead me.

Latest posts

Back