Paph Garibaldi 'John'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Registered in 1918 by Sir George Holford, Paph Garibaldi is a cross between Bronzino (parentage unknown) and Earl of Tankerville (exul x Nitens). Being one of the earlier hybrids, it figures in the genetics of many (1,117) complex Paphs, even though it has only been used as a parent in 20 crosses. Most of those progeny were made through Garbaldi's offspring, Decameron (Garbaldi x Muriel II).

Two of Decameron's offspring produced the majority of the progeny. Paph Margaret (Decameron x Eider) figures prominently with such famous progeny as Edward Marshall Boehm, Mendocino, Western Thunder, California Girl, Sandra Mary, and Eagle Lake. Notable progeny in Paph Sheba's (Decameron x Memoria J.H. Walker) line include Sioux, Gigi, Frostlight, Venture, John Hanes, and Via Luna Este.

What makes this plant important to me, other than its rich history, is the in modern times, hybridizers have begun to make use of its small stature (8 inch leaf span) in hybridizing miniature complex Paphs. The most famous of these, so far is Paph Norvin Olivas (Garbaldi x charlesworthii). Many thanks to the Slippertalk member from whom I acquired a division of this plant.

PaphGaribaldiJohn.jpg

PaphGaribaldiJohnplant.jpg

The dorsal shows great promise and I love the mahogany colouring in the petals. Very nice!

very nice flower! I love the dark petals and pouch, wonder if there's some Barbata species in the unknown background?

Way cool Ross. I thought I had/have one seedling of the cross you mentioned,Paph Norvin Olivas (Garbaldi x charlesworthii). I just checked and I do (to my surprise)! It's actually do quite well thanks for the look at the pod parent.

Latest posts

Back