Paph Manayunk

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Registered in 1978 by W.W. Wilson, one of the great complex breeders of the time, Manayunk (Winston Churchill X Dakota) has received seven flower quality awards by the AOS. It has eight offspring, one of which (Paph Pomo) has been awarded. An interesting aside is that Dr. Wilson used native American names for many of his Paph crosses. Some of the more famous are Paph Sioux, Paph Alguonquin, and Paph Crazy Horse. This is not one of the awarded Manayunks, but when compared to the award photos, I like the color, patterning and shape of this one as well or better.

One more comment: The flower is quite small by today's standards, but that, along with its compact growth habit make it ideal for adding the classic complex shape to miniature complexes. NS: 9.7 cm. DSW: 6.6 cm. PW: 4.3 cm.

An interesting aside is that Dr. Wilson used native American names for many of his Paph crosses.

There are several areas in, and around Philly (Dr. Wilson lived in a Suburb) with Native American names, mostly Lenni Lenape, including Manayunk, Holicong (where my kids went to school), and the like, so some may have been named after locations, rather than tribes.

In addition to Ukrainian and Dutch, I have Lenni Lenape in my background.

Thanks! I always wondered how the names Algonquin and Crazy Horse came about for Paphs.
JC

That's a good one, Ross!
Very nice speckling. What would you pair it with?

There are several areas in, and around Philly (Dr. Wilson lived in a Suburb) with Native American names, mostly Lenni Lenape, including Manayunk, Holicong (where my kids went to school), and the like, so some may have been named after locations, rather than tribes.

In addition to Ukrainian and Dutch, I have Lenni Lenape in my background.

You're right, Ray. In addition to Tribe names and place names, he also used individual's names.

The Paph (William Stirling X Garibaldi) is great! I think I would use it as the pollen parent. I noticed that there seems to be a tendency that the pollen parent gives the plant size to its progenies. But I'm not yet sure about this.

Latest posts

Back