Five Besseae in bloom

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you know what light levels & humidity they're getting? My phrags don't seem to be doing that well this year and although I've got great root growth and new shoots, they're either not spiking or aborting spikes rather than taking them full term. Can't figure out if it's not enough light, not enough fert or not enough water...

I water every other day (hybrids are in trays of water, species are not) and fert at half strength every third watering (effectively once per week).

Oh wow, gorgeous bunch! Is the one on the top left dalessandroi? I like that one the best.

Do you know what light levels & humidity they're getting? My phrags don't seem to be doing that well this year and although I've got great root growth and new shoots, they're either not spiking or aborting spikes rather than taking them full term. Can't figure out if it's not enough light, not enough fert or not enough water...

I water every other day (hybrids are in trays of water, species are not) and fert at half strength every third watering (effectively once per week).

I'm up in southern Scotland, so my light levels will be worse than yours. I would bet its the watering schedule. Unless its one of the really long-petalled species, I would begin watering daily and heavily. Certainly all the short petalled phrags I have known all love as much water as I can give them, and respond well to that. :)

I'm up in southern Scotland, so my light levels will be worse than yours. I would bet its the watering schedule. Unless its one of the really long-petalled species, I would begin watering daily and heavily. Certainly all the short petalled phrags I have known all love as much water as I can give them, and respond well to that. :)

Am I correct in assuming yours aren't in saucers of water/SH and are just watered normally (but every day)?

I grow under lights and believe (from my free app fc measurement) that they're getting approx. 1000-1400fc of light. My Paphs which are a touch closer to the lights than the Phrags seem to be doing great and producing spikes, flowering nicely, etc.

Back