First roth bud watch

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, should I be staking at this point?

b377919eafd2102df0ee624e07b99439.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A local 'expert' gave my club a class earlier where he said that if a paph is staked too early the bud will still droop to try to adopt the posture where the dorsal sepal shields the pouch. I think in the wild, that way the pouch/pollen is shielded from rain. He advised that the bloom should be allowed to 'harden' in the drooping posture, and then staked up. This is supposed to help it retain a better display appearance.

I am not an expert, just passing along info.

Thank you for the kind words. I suspect you're being gentle with the newbie's feelings, ☺️but I like learning about what makes a bloom noteworthy. Anyone want to teach me what could be improved or what one should look for in a noteworthy roth?

Also, might the pouch improve on subsequent bloomings or do you think such a flaw would continue?

e07e088752f5f8a4ac4581e192c3d7e6.jpg

It is a great accomplishment that you bloomed a roth however seedlings have a wide range of quality and this one just hppened to come out average or below average quality.

Some negatives: the segments including lateral petals and dorsal & ventral sepal are all very narrow. The pouch is mottled instead of a uniform color. The petals are spotted instead of showing clear stripes from center to tip. The flower looks to be on the small side but that is typical for many first bloom seedlings. I do like the overall red color.

The flowers will definitely improve on the next blooming but it will never be a contender for flower quality. That being said it is still a nice flower and you should get a lot of enjoyment out of it which is all that matters.

For some examples of top quality roths check out the orchid zone facebook page or google tokyo orchid nursery (which u can also view in english via google translate)

Thank you, Justin! Your response is really informative and helpful. Thanks for taking the time to teach.

Now I can go look at roth photos with those qualities in mind.

Back