First bloom Kovachii x besseae opening

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Full plant pic for NYEric
XL0O0333copy.jpg

Full shot of Lowii from above to show all five spikes
XL0O0263copy.jpg

Lowii from slightly below:
XL0O0278.jpg

Flavum was off this AM so here it is on top a ruler.
XL0O0182copy.jpg

XL0O0186.jpg

XL0O0187copy.jpg

Thanks for looking
2me

Wow! That lowii is amazing!:clap: Looks like it's all leaning over to one side of the pot, though.
What is the size of the kovachii x besseae flower? I know it's still opening, but still...

Yeah... it is all leaning to one side...
It leaned over shortly after I repotted it one day after a heavy flushing of the pot, as I thought about moving it back upright, but it struck me that, that this is way it grows out of the trees. All leaning to one side out of the crouch of a tree.
So I decided to leave it and see what happens, well the spikes all leaned to the one side too and I like the way the spikes turned out. You?
I have no idea if the judges would like or dislike it though.
When viewed from the side at table height... wow!

I wished I had taken it to judging earlier this month, but, my arm was just operated on, Pete's van could only hold the moustashe so we left it home... I really wished we had taken it though. The Moustashe was not staked properly so the blooms did not open properly, so the judges passed on it. I have so much to learn...

I have had the Lowii for two-three years.
When I had bought it from Krull-Smith I was not taking notes or writing on the tags when I bought or repotted something... live and learn.

I have to measure the pot, it is one of the plastic ones from Home Depot. I drilled two holes about two -three inches from the bottom, so it acting like a semi-hydroponic pot.

NYEric... They want so much for benches, that I have not the heart to pay what they want...
If I buy benches then I won't have any $ for orchids, so for now I use folding plastic tables.
Over the summer I just may try to make my own with a hard plastic gridded top.
So that is why the empty space.

Kevin,
I have not measured it, though it has been opening for several days now, it seems that this bloom may stay cupped. I am hoping for a flatter one next time. The color is real pleasing.

Thanks all,
Jim

Yeah...
I have had the Lowii for two-three years.
When I had bought it from Krull-Smith I was not taking notes or writing on the tags when I bought or repotted something... live and learn.
Thanks all,
Jim
:eek: that's all? How big was it when you bought it?

Clark, Thanks, I feel better now!

goldenrose, it seems to really like it here, it's a vigorous grower, but it was large when I bought it from Frank. It is one of my favorites!

NYEric, your on! Thanks man. Also, Eric, I have a photo for you, I'll post it tomorrow.
It's the brother of the one you bought in Wash D.C.
Has yours flowered again yet?

Thanks all,
Jim

Thank you Elena!

It is another one of Frank Smith's amazing creations!
He truly has the golden touch with hybridizing.
Jim

No, the second bud blasted so I cut the stem off. I got a pink one friday at the SEPOS show though and the one from DC looks to be stabilized and growing.

Latest posts

Back