Early K-lite results

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don't know, if it is because of K-lite or not... I use this method for 2 months.
Because of it or not but root systems are growing significantly more vigorously.
Few pics: hirs. album, hookerae, kovachii, phil. album, roth. rex X mm, roth. tiger march, stonei.

Attachments

• klite hirs. album.jpg
    klite hirs. album.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 100
  • klite hookerae.jpg
    klite hookerae.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 78
  • klite kovach.jpg
    klite kovach.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 107
  • klite phil. album.jpg
    klite phil. album.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 69
  • klite roth RxMM.jpg
    klite roth RxMM.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 51
  • klite roth Tiger March.jpg
    klite roth Tiger March.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 53
  • klite stonei.jpg
    klite stonei.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 46
I too, believe, I have seen some growth improvement. It's, also, been close to 2 months for me.

I have noticed my new growths seem to be growing faster and stronger compared to last year.

I don't know, if it is because of K-lite or not... I use this method for 2 months.
Because of it or not but root systems are growing significantly more vigorously.
Few pics: hirs. album, hookerae, kovachii, phil. album, roth. rex X mm, roth. tiger march, stonei.

Did you repot the plants into fresh media when you started using K-lite? Or did you simply change the type of fertilizer and the pots continue growing in the old media?

Did you repot the plants into fresh media when you started using K-lite? Or did you simply change the type of fertilizer and the pots continue growing in the old media?

Some was repotted, some was not. ( kovachii and roths are in the same mix for 6 months)

I was trying to figure out what media you were using until I saw the close-up.

It depends on plant. Some are in pine bark, some are in mix of clay balls and bark, others are in mix of akadama, bark and clay balls ( phrags), others are covered by NZ sphagnum ( eg. hookerae)

I'm not sure about dodidoki, but for myself the plants a doing better. A few are in new mix (just because the old mix needed changed, breakdown) and the rest are in old-ish mix. Both new and old mix plants are showing positive results with k-lite. I haven't seen any negative reactions. In fact, one plant that was showing Nitrogen issues (reddening around the leaves) is getting better with the newest leaves not showing any reddening.

I left in old mix my plants, what grow fine ( eg. kovachii), this case I couldn't see reason for repotting. Others, I noticed that doesn't grow well, I repotted ( eg. another kovachii, what produced 5 new fat root during this period.

In all I can see mainly improvement, I can't see negative signs till this moment. This period I think is too short for conclusions but first sings are good, anyway.

Is this your normal growth season?

I'm just starting to have things warm up, a little, around here and growth should start picking up. The sunlight is, also, lasting longer.

Is this your normal growth season?

I'm just starting to have things warm up, a little, around here and growth should start picking up. The sunlight is, also, lasting longer.

Don't know...I keep them around 17-18 C, 16 hours artef light, 75-80 % humidity, once/week watering. Is 18 C too much, maybe?

In the winter I keep all my orchids at 16.1C at night and 20C in the day. During the summer everything is warmer.

Do you keep your artificial light on 16 hours a day all year? I keep my lights on 12 hours in the winter and 16 hours in the summer. I like to fallow the seasonal changes outside with light.

In the winter I keep all my orchids at 16.1C at night and 20C in the day. During the summer everything is warmer.

Do you keep your artificial light on 16 hours a day all year? I keep my lights on 12 hours in the winter and 16 hours in the summer. I like to fallow the seasonal changes outside with light.

I try to mimic natural envirionments. These plants live around equator, where sunligh is always around 12 huors/day every day of the year. Summer I use less artef light but in winter I use more for compensation lack of sunlight.

By the way, my main problem is not haeting, but cooling in summer. Last summer I lost many plants because of unusulal heat, 24-25 C at night, 35-38 C at noon in shade.....some of plants died within one day....at morning nice green plant, in afternoon only a brownish smurf. That was terrible! So I decide to become independent from natural envirionment. I will shade my GH almost copletely with heat reflecting foils and supply my plants with artef light. Now I'm searching the way.

Good idea! My first thought was some kind of foil or aluminet (reflective shade cloth).
Have you thought about a evaporactive cooler or some kind of misting system? I know they can really help keep temps down. Strong air movement can, also, help.

Latest posts

Back