Early K-lite results

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At what equivalent nitrogen concentrations are you all applying the K-Lite, and how frequently ?

14% N ( 7 % NO3, 3,5% Urea, 3,5% NH4),
TDS all: 130-140 ppm, ( I use RO water for fert. solution, TDS 5-6 ppm), N total is about 20-21 ppm. I use it every third waterings, I water once / week.

I have been using it at 50 ppm N at every watering for the last year. I have a Paph Cheryl Ann Boyd I got from Theresa Hill last spring in-bloom. It is in bloom again, in the same pot, and I swear the flower is easily 50% bigger. I have noted similar improvements with others, but that one is just SUCH an improvement, that it stands out.

For fall/winter I've been using 30-50ppm N once a week (3-7 waterings a week depending on mounted, basket, or traditional potted).

On some extended cloudy cool weeks I skip the weekly big feeding and just give daily or EOD feedings 5ppm N.

Billy,

Is that 100 ppm N or 100 ppm total dissolved solids once you add the K-Lite?

Hi Tom,
I use distilled water and add 100 ppm of N to my water. I'm not sure what the TDS of the distilled water is, but should be very low. Here is my watering schedule:
water
water + fertilizer
water
water + fertilizer + kelpmax.
Correction to past post, I add kelpmax every 4th watering not 5th.

Thanks for the info. We just started changing over to K-Lite and I'm planning to alternate watering with plain water (70% R/O + 30% Lake Michigan - Chicago water) with a TDS reading of 80-90 ppm, and plain water + K-L fertilizer @ 70 ppm equivalent N conc. Watering schedule will vary with the season, ranging from once weekly to twice weekly.

Last edited:
Hello:
I would try giving results K-lite, shame that in my country can not find these fertilizers.
I would like you give me the opinion of a fertilizer 5-0-1 with 7% Ca
It doesn´t containe P or neither Mg, I added Mg as epson salt (what proportion to the necessary?)
That problem you see in the absence of P? and how could I fix it.
greetings

Hello:
I would try giving results K-lite, shame that in my country can not find these fertilizers.
It doesn´t containe P or neither Mg, I added Mg as epson salt (what proportion to the necessary?)
greetings

K-lite formula is not available in my country, too. I solved this problem by mixing fertilizers.

Eg.:

one part 27% N solution ( 2:1:1 NO3:urea:NH4)
two parts 21% Ca /10% N
4 parts 4% Mg ( 1/3 celated/So4)
1,5 part N:p:k + micros (10/10/8 %)

Epsom is hydrated ( hepta) formula, if you solve 100g in 150 g distilled water, you will have 4% Mg solution.

Last edited:
Hello:
greetings

This isn't a bad mix.

you could add a pinch of bone meal to your potting mix for phosphorus (that's calcium phosphate).

Horticulturists used bone meal for Ca and PO4 and blood meal for nitrogen for probably over a hundred years before we came up with these high tech inorganic fertilizers. Those materials were probably in use by orchid growers in the 1800's.

Hello:

Thanks dodidoki and Rick for the reply!
I buy it, and I just add these two elements to look like a K-lite home

I´m reading and in canna forums, recommend a drug to add P. The composition :
This medicine is: For 100 ml: Disodium phosphate dodecahydrate, 3.2 g, sodium dihydrogen phosphate, 13.9 g
And in the same forum recommend these amounts: 2 liters of water + 1 cc drug = 65 ppm PO4.
They think of this?.
The mg, which would add to the epson

Thanks again.

I've been conversing with a K-Lite user who primarily grows cattleyas and a few dendrobiums, down in southwestern Florida. Many are in LECA, others are in bark- or CHC-based media, others are mounted.

She has seen good growth and blooming, but is observing what appears to be premature loss of leaves on back-bulbs. She states that the old leaves turn solid brick red, then pale to yellow, and fall off.

Bill Argo suspects a phosphorus deficiency, and if that's the case, the recommendations here would apply to her.

So my question is "why is she the only one seeing this?"

I think 100 ppm N, for about 9 months or so.

Rainfall does a lot of flushing, but that's pretty much a constant down there, and she says the only difference was going from MSURO to K-Lite.

is she using tons of bark? the whole combination of weather and culture/plants may be burning up more of the fertilizer (though in bark the bacteria or whatever is supposed to burn up n). I thought that there needed to be a little more p; could be that her plants just burn through the fertilizer and grow so quickly/fully that they need more in the very warm and rainy conditions. tons of clear water flushing would seemingly pull nutrients out of the plants, especially if there isn't a ton of extra in the fertilizer

Latest posts

Back