Done with Orchid Zone

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Troy that is exactly my point. Here is a business that probably for years had a good reputation and did good business. Then new management comes in and messes things up. People order and get taken advantage of. People think well it's a good business everyone likes them and speaks highly of them so it must just be a weird coincidence and don't say anything. So their pockets get fat for doing shoddy work. That is why I'm encouraging people to speak up. They need to stop taking advantage of people in their business as usual attitude.

They should get a reputation going forward of what they are doing now, not what the past was.

Remember when hard work and pride in your job was all it took? Seems to be the exception, not the norm anymore. Sad

This company is crap. I thought I would give them a second chance. Terrible communication and only when I threatened with an ebay complaint did they finally send it. The multi-growth plant I was lead to believe I was getting..was a one growth plant. They are just flat out liars and I am tired of dealing with them...too tired to deal with sending it back. I will just take this post as my means of retribution.

I wish you would go back on ebay and file a complaint. Not as vindictiveness or retribution, but so noobs like me would see and be wary of dealing with them. If they can't do business honestly, they should not be in business. I know you are tired of dealing with them, but do make the effort. Another idea would be to have a section here dealing with vendor experiences, both good and bad, so people can be aware, and if word gets around maybe some vendors would clean up their act before someone else gets burned.

I've tried to complain to ebay about some items that were clearly not what the seller said they were, but ebay would not take any complaints until after you made a purchase. Nice.

I wish you would go back on ebay and file a complaint. Not as vindictiveness or retribution, but so noobs like me would see and be wary of dealing with them. If they can't do business honestly, they should not be in business. I know you are tired of dealing with them, but do make the effort. Another idea would be to have a section here dealing with vendor experiences, both good and bad, so people can be aware, and if word gets around maybe some vendors would clean up their act before someone else gets burned.

I've tried to complain to ebay about some items that were clearly not what the seller said they were, but ebay would not take any complaints until after you made a purchase. Nice.

i did, I have filed two against Orchid Zone

I wish you would go back on ebay and file a complaint
He has. It has the same text in the complaint.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=theorchidzone&ftab=AllFeedback&myworld=true&rt=nc
Another idea would be to have a section here dealing with vendor experiences, both good and bad, so people can be aware, and if word gets around maybe some vendors would clean up their act before someone else gets burned.

we do and we are a critical group

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6

I bought a Cattleya coccinea from them several months ago over eBay and it was poorly packaged (especially considering they charged me $20 for shipping a plant in a 3" pot), I thought it may have been a one-off occurrence... Apparently not.

I'm glad I happened across this thread. I was literally just about to purchase a kovachii seeding from them, I'm definitely reconsidering now. It's a shame when a business goes downhill like this.

My experience has been contrary to what others have wrote here. So I think it is only fair that I give my absolute honest positive feedback. Plants I have bought have always arrived on time, many arrive overnight and I've put in many many orders. John has been very responsive by email. Plant packaging has been very good. Time of arrival has been exceptional compared to other sellers. The only single problem I've even had our of hundreds of orders is that a absolutely magnificent paph division was a growth with no start with a huge flower. When I bought I couldn't see the plant in the pic but the flower was amazing. The division was very expensive and went on to die from what i think was stress of shipping and a huge bloom on a single growth plant. Just died leaf by leaf yellowing. John said he would let me know when another division was available. It was more heartbreaking than anything else because I loved the flower. Probably should have asked for a pic of the plant. But where else can you even get a flower like this? Maybe nowhere. If there is a place they are in Japan and for that flower prob would have been 20 percent more expensive. This is just one of literally hundreds of plants I've bought, including many divisions with zero problems. Plants arrive well grown and vigorous looking. Many times they have more growths than I expected. I have almost never seen bad roots. In honesty I have seen a very rare mealy bug. I spray regularly, as everyone should, so this is not an issue. In a big greenhouse or any greenhouse you are bound to have rare bugs. I would say over 99.5 percent of my experience is excellent. In addition I find descriptions to be extremely honest of blooms and plants. If you've gotten roths from John you can see how well grown and huge the plants are. I don't know another retail grower with plants like that. Is there another grower who has the genetic quality that the orchid zone has for paphs? No offense to other growers but I don't thing so. So, I can't relate to these negative experiences. If you look at eBay feedback it is overwhelmingly positive. In addition I'm to lazy to put feedback which I should change. My eBay feedback would have been 100 percent positive 5 stars. Ive bought literally 100s of plants from John and will continue to do so.

Last edited:
Perhaps the difference is John gives more/better service to those who spend more money with him. I made a small order and almost to a T had the exact opposite experience (and it seems like negative experiences seem to be more prevalent).

JAB I think you are exactly right. Spending $$$$ and a lot of orders gets you a different service. I also understand that. You have to take care of someone spending $$$$$. But for the rest of us we stuck HARD!

Terry was a passionate guy who lived for his orchid business.
John is first a business man who like then orchids.
It's as simple as that.

To take care rich customer is not a problem and is even the basis of business.
But despising the customers who spend less is a big mistake. This thread is the proof...

@paphioland: OZ genetic quality is the heritage of Terry work. What will be the future...?

I placed a $800 order with Orchid zone and I changed a small thing with the order and he did not refund the difference after I inquired him about it twice. I had to get the money back through a paypal dispute... I don't think it's even about the money for better customer service.

I would not recommend supporting this company any further.

Looking at the eBay feedback, 10 negative to 155 positive in the last 6 months, would seem to indicate a trend toward recent problems. Further back there are almost no negatives. No matter what the history or perhaps continued attention to truly large orders and established customers (which are probably not through eBay) it does indicate a problem. A change in personnel caring for plants and filling orders, or a change in the personal attention John can give to small sales day to day, can make a big difference. There is no doubt the breeding available there is exceptional. Hopefully, any problems can get turned around.

A true business(wo)man gives the same service regardless if the tab is $10 or $10000. Period.

I received the first one from pacific orchid expo 3 years ago, caudatum in bloom, dozens of bugs in the dead root zone, I thought that would be an isolated thing, over the years it has gotten worse, too much money spent on half dead plants,, call my bluff, buy a plant from them, check the rootzone, maybe after this thread they will tighten up their service

Latest posts

Back