Dilemma concerning purchases

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

limuhead

I think by now it is fairly obvious that I am an avid Paph/Phrag flask shopper. Truth is I truly enjoy the challenge of growing from flask, and after killing many I have gotten to the point where my success rate is extremely high; few if any mortalities so long as I have decent material to start with. I have bought from some of the best in the business, some unknowns, and gotten mixed results from both as well. My dilemma is this. Should I reveal details about a recent bad purchase as a public service to those who might be in the market? I have contacted the seller, and not enough time has elapsed for a reply, but the flasks were really in bad shape. I have thrown out better flasks than that doing volunteer work at local nurseries. At one place in particular I asked the owner if he would mind if I tried anyway; his reply was 'Don't waste your time'.
I will post pictures tomorrow, have to stay up almost all night to try and salvage what I can...

Rose, the helenae were/are a bit on the small side, but tons of them and really nice...

Bit your tongue until you get a reply. I don't want to know until you have all the facts.

In some ways I agree, but on the other hand the flasks were old and should had been planted out months ago. Half of the leaves on some of them were brown and translucent. I have gotten many flasks that were jumbled due to poor packing or rough treatment by the delivery company, but to send flasks with rotten plants?

In some ways I agree, but on the other hand the flasks were old and should had been planted out months ago. Half of the leaves on some of them were brown and translucent. I have gotten many flasks that were jumbled due to poor packing or rough treatment by the delivery company, but to send flasks with rotten plants?

if they didnt tell you ahead of time then you have every right to post their name...even if they make amends after the fact. They should know better. I have gotten flasks from Sam that were like that but he always told me ahead of time with a discount.

Sorry to hear limu. It sucks when you were expecting a good product because you paid good money for it and then receiving a crappy sub par product. Wish you the best.

Rose, the helenae were/are a bit on the small side, but tons of them and really nice...
Glad to hear it! They're little guys to begin with so one has to expect that they're not gonna be giants coming out of flask.

if they didnt tell you ahead of time then you have every right to post their name...even if they make amends after the fact. They should know better. I have gotten flasks from Sam that were like that but he always told me ahead of time with a discount.
TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE! There was a time Sam had a concolor flask that went to long, it tempted me but due to my inexperience at the time I passed on it. He was totally upfront and as you said discounted it.
With these additional details I'd post the name and I'd continue with an update as to how they handled it.
You want to be treated as you'd treat others, I think that what's causing the dilemma.
When Fred posted a list of extra compots back this spring, I jumped on the broughtonias. There was a pink and an aurea x splash. You were upfront with me, you wanted to double check the aurea compot as it experienced a little fungal issue, before you shipped it. You felt it was fine but told me to let you know if there were any troubles. The aurea compot, the plants were quite a bit smaller but boy did they take off and lots of them!

I would give the vendor 5+ days to have a chance to discuss and make it right. But if the vendor refuses, definitely feel free to post. IF the vendor's attempt at resolution falls short, you probably should still post the name and a few details. If you get absolutely no response to emails, it might be technical, try a phone call. But if both fail to get a response, consider it deliberate and go ahead and post the name and some details.

Deal w/ the vendor as best as you can. the forum is often a place to vent and we appreciate warnings if a vendor sells you "not satisfactory" product. One bad apple could result in a bushel of apples good or bad! :wink:

I think it's OK to show us the flasks, but I agree with the others who say to wait until there is a resolution -- or not -- before revealing the vendor's name.

I recently had an interesting experience with a vendor. I send him two pods. One didn't germinate, but the other did and he made 4 flasks from it. But then he got an outbreak of mold and lost 3 of the 4 flasks, set the 4th aside and forgot about it. When it was discovered, he sent it to me with an apology that it probably should have been sent out weeks ago. It turns out that I'm happy he kept it that long. The roots were great and the leaves are sturdy and they came apart easily. All's well that ends well, and I hope your situation resolves well, Fred.

Have we come to that point, where one is forced to video tape the opening of the package, to avoid libel and/or slander?

I know what this fells like. Difficult to remain professional.
Good luck with this Fred.

I'm happy this we can have this discussion before you reveal the name of the vendor. I'd love to hear that the vendor made good on the error...

I'm happy this we can have this discussion before you reveal the name of the vendor. I'd love to hear that the vendor made good on the error...

Me too. I hope this works out. As a vendor myself(mostly Cattleya and Dendrobium species; I'm new to slippers) I strive to make sure that my customers are happy. As a matter of fact the majority of the sales I make are to repeat buyers. Nearly impossible to find flasks of paphs and phrags here in Hawaii, I have to get them from the mainland, and even then it can be difficult...

I would always wait until there was a resolution before posting all details to a forum. Years ago I ordered a plant or two from a big vendor in California. One was bright yellow, the pot was very heavy and the roots mush. I sent an email to the company but didn't receive a reply. I was tiffed, but later on found out the owner had been ill and it was Mother's Day holiday (crazy busy for big orchid vendor), plants were likely being grabbed quickly by unseasoned helpers. Later when I purchased a nice plant from the same vendor, two plants were sent instead of one. The owner had realized after the fact what had happened, must have made a note, and replaced the bad plant.
You never know just what goes on after you place an order; right about the time an assumption is made, sometimes an unexpected thing happens. Flasks sent to me from overseas have ended up looking completely trashed, and this can happen easily if a plane is encountering high altitudes between there and home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

The same day I got the flasks in question I also received 2 flasks from another person. Both of those flasks were jumbled; could barely see the plants. I rinsed them off and the plants, although small were in perfect shape. I potted them out and they look great. The other flasks, the ones I am not happy with had lots of brown leaves; a problem that has gotten much worse on most of them. They seem to be damping off even though they were treated with fungicide and given a dose of calcium as well(1/8tsp. per gallon of K-lite). The vendor responded and asked for pictures, which were sent this morning. In the past 6 months I have purchased about 20 flasks. Treated them all the same. So far I have suffered almost no losses. The recent purchase I am posting this rant about are going down hill already after a few days...

Unfortunately I am a terrible grower from flask but some vendors grow them out into compots for me. In my experience, damaged and brown plants from flask never make it.

pictures of flasks

After a few days I got a response from the vendor. These are pictures of the flasks AFTER I cleaned them up and removed much of the dead/brown leaves. The response was:

'Send me some images. There should be 8-9 plants per flask. The Phrag Pink Panther was overdue to come out, but I expect them to grow our well if not mechanically damaged. The Epi is more root than leaves. If there was significant loss we can work to make it right.'

The flasks were sent after I requested an invoice. I never got the invoice, the flasks arrived on my doorstep without notice, 3 weeks after initial contact. I changed my order after a response saying one of them was no longer available. The original order was sent, they added a free flask, which ironically is the only one that wasn't in terrible shape.

The last picture was the free one. $279.00, including shipping. About 1/2 of the plants are dead or dying as of today. I am sending out the check tomorrow although I really don't want to. As a vendor on Ebay I have sold 100's of compots and orchids of all kinds. I have had only one disgruntled customer; said the compot was smaller than the picture which was a bold faced lie. I take pictures of EVERY item I sell. I refunded the money of the customer and let them keep the compot(and yes, they are banned from bidding on my auctions). I sent these photos to the vendor and have not heard from them since...

Latest posts

Back