Dendrobium vexillarius

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naoki

Reaction score
I think this is Dendrobium vexillarius var. microblepharum. I got it from Far East Agriculture. I love the vivid tangerine orange of this individual. Two flowers (opened more recently) have deeper color. The paler ones have been probably open for at least 4-5 weeks, more like 2 months or so, so they may fade a little bit. But I'm not sure.

Link to my Orchid Borealis blog post about this species.

Dendrobium vexillarius on Flickr

That's a beauty and very interesting. Lots of nice roots.

I have a lot of cuthbertsonii, but I manged to kill vexillarius. I got a flask from Equatorial Orchids, but there were no survivors. I've never seen an adult plant for sale.

I have a lot of cuthbertsonii, but I manged to kill vexillarius. I got a flask from Equatorial Orchids, but there were no survivors. I've never seen an adult plant for sale.

Hmm, I killed 2 D. cuthbertsonii (and I need to get more)! I hope that mine will keep growing! But I can imagine that get it going from import flasks. If you are interested in adults, Far East usually have D. vexillarius. Here is the initial condition, which I consider it to be decent, from 2 years ago:
p5200037-jpg.34744

I looked online for Far East, but all I could find was a Facebook page with some photos. No price list. Did you visit Malaysia or did they come to a local show?

They look a bit rough, but they obviously survived and thrived. Could there be 2 different plants? Would you be willing to pollinate a couple of flowers for me and I'll buy the seed from you? It shouldn't be a problem shipping seed across the border.

I have lots of extra cuthbertsonii for sale or trade, but I'm in Canada, so that's a problem. I've been growing them from seed for quite a few years.
Here's a couple of photos.

Dencuthbertsonii.jpg

cuthbertsonii2017.jpg

TrueNorth, they come to the US probably twice a year. I usually try to get them when they are here for Redland (May), but their plants don't arrive always. I don't think that they go to Canada.

You have a wonderful collection of D. cuthbertsonii. Too bad that trading internationally isn't easy. But you are right, seed trade is easiest for appendix II plants, and maybe we can work out some seed trade (I do have small-lots-of-seeds import permit). I pollinated a couple flowers, so I'll let you know if it is successful. The other plant has only 1 old flower open. So I'm not sure if it is successful. The pollinia of older flowers seem to be a bit too dry.

Mike, are these Oxyglossum (or NG orchids in general) more available in Australia? New Guinea is physically close to Australia, but I guess that your import rule is more strict.

Mike, are these Oxyglossum (or NG orchids in general) more available in Australia? New Guinea is physically close to Australia, but I guess that your import rule is more strict.

No very difficult to find. Luckily I have a friend with 350 Dendrobium species so I get most of mine from him. Much easier to find in the US.

TrueNorth, they come to the US probably twice a year. I usually try to get them when they are here for Redland (May), but their plants don't arrive always. I don't think that they go to Canada.

Do you order in advance from a list, or do you just buy from what they bring with them?

You have a wonderful collection of D. cuthbertsonii. Too bad that trading internationally isn't easy. But you are right, seed trade is easiest for appendix II plants, and maybe we can work out some seed trade (I do have small-lots-of-seeds import permit). I pollinated a couple flowers, so I'll let you know if it is successful.

Thanks. That is just a small part of it. And thanks for pollinating them. I can send you some cuthbertsonii seed if you're set up to do flasking.

Glad to see the PNG Dens are more readily available now....I think I miss the group of orchids the most. Nice growing, noaki
BTW, many plants of this species do drop the leaves from time to time. Matter of fact, mine bloomed on leafless growths for the most part.

True North, I noticed Ecuagenera has flasks of this species. One is screwed-up (hybrid cross between varieties). I don't understand why they make this kind of things. The other doesn't mention the cross, so you might want to ask them. It's $70.

I didn't notice them last time I checked their list. I'll have another look. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back