cyps in pots 2014

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you plan to mulch the pots before covering them with burlap and plastic, no problem. The secret is to keep the plants rather dry and cool for winter. You don't want them to stay in ice sheet. Under some weather conditions, mulch can be compact, very wet and "full of ice blocks". If there is no snow cover over it, it can be very cold on the pots. Also, even hardy plants can die if they stay under ice in winter.

I don't know a lot about your winters. I guess they are colder than ours, very windy, somewhat less snowy. Which Canadian zone is your garden?

But what I know is that you can do miracle with hardiness zone if you are careful with protection.

You must protect the plants only after several hard frosts. Here, I do this in mid or late November. I guess early to mid Nov would be OK for you. The burlap must be dry for good insulation. Try to chose an area protected from the winds and where snow cover is good. The protection must always be light color to avoid overheating during warmer days of winter... I guess you know what I mean... That is why white is the best choice. And don't forget Mickey Mouse...

Hi,

thanks for the comments.
A couple more as we get towards the end of the season.
First up is Philipp.
This one was one of the first plants I bought in 2006 and when it
flowers well there is a good red picotee edge to the lip and staminode.
Next is Dietrich which has a good scent to go with the growths that usually have two flowers each.
The last photo shows the two with Pixi sitting next to the tomatoes in the greenhouse.
They are in there as we have heavy rain forecast overnight and I don't want them battered!

Regards,

David

No pictures....:sob:

I need to try a Lucy Pinkepank, it looks outstanding. All your Cyps are outstanding. I've had some thoughts on what to do next winter, if I have success I'll post the results. Silence, means I failed.

Not trying to hijack this thread.

I don't think cold alone is an issue, even for Cyps from more southern climates like Cyp kentuckiensis and Cyp californiacum. Bill Steele is a part time commercial cyp breeder in far northwestern Minnesota, zone 3. (he has had temps as low as -42 F). He winters his cyps outdoors in his large prepared beds. I believe he does use hardware cloth (mesh) to protect from rodents. He has a lot of growing info on his webpage. He too uses a mix for his pots that is mostly perlite. http://www.spanglecreeklabs.com/index.html

cyp culture

Leo - good luck with your project.
One of the thing people do not talk about much with cyps in pots of perlite is the advantage of not needing to repot much.
They do not like repotting or moving and I reckon that they take 2 years to settle down to grow quickly again.
If you overpot in perlite you can safely leave then for 5 years during which they have time to really get a head of steam and grow big,
Regards,
David

Linus,
mine are left and pretty much forgotten in an unheated garage from late october until late february.
Normally it gets down to minus 5 at the lowest the pots do not freeze through.
With your much harsher winters I would have thought burying them outside would be a good idea,
David

Hi David,
You leave your pots in the garage for the winter. Do you water them at all between late October and late Feb?
Marcus

Thanks David. If I don't water them in the winter. will the roots dry out completely?

Marcus

I see. Thank you very much. After seeing your beautiful pictures, I bought several Cypripediums recently to give it a try. Hope I can grow mine successfully.

Hi Linus_Cello,
I am also in DC area. You put the pots in the garbage bags and tie the bags, right? Will this prevent the air circulation for the roots? Do they need that? Is the only air inside the plastic bags enough for the whole winter?
Marcus

Hi Linus_Cello,
I am also in DC area. You put the pots in the garbage bags and tie the bags, right? Will this prevent the air circulation for the roots? Do they need that? Is the only air inside the plastic bags enough for the whole winter?
Marcus

I think there's enough circulation since the media is very rocky. From: http://www.gardensatposthill.com/website/Cypripedium overview.htm

In raising Cypripedium seedlings, the only difference fro tropical orchids is that Cypripedium must have winter. The easiest way to provide winter for potted plants is to make sure the medium is moist but not wet, then to place the pot into a plastic bag and into the refrigerator for 4 months (5 months is better for most Asian species except for Cypripedium formosanum which comes from a warmer climate). Make sure the pot is placed where the seedlings will not freeze and thaw. Alternatively, pots may be placed in an unheated garage or other area where temperatures will not change rapidly.

Help!
I got 3 large Cyps and some inorganic media from TG@PH. I want to put them in pots, but cannot cool the pots down in the apartment. I was going to just put them outside in the garden but now all this talk has me worried about water getting to them. Should I pot them up, water and feed once, them put them in bags outside?

Depends on the Cyps. The chinese cyps need to be more dry in the winter. North American cyps are ok with more moisture.
Yes, I would pot them, water (I don't think you need to feed now), put them in a bag, and bury them in leaves.

Latest posts

Back