cyps in pots 2014

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice David. That Sabine alba looks very close to GPH Tom Velardi, the cross between Sabine and macranthos alba. I've never seen the flower, but Ron Burch claims it is the largest Cyp flower he has ever seen. I don't know though, I saw some huge tibeticums in Sichuan that may rival its size.

sabine crosses

Tom,

I'll check with Frank Schmidt about the plant.
Interesting what you say about the cross between tibeticum and Sabine -Frank has named the cross Theophanu and has seedlings available this year. However he told me that they were all 'normal' colours.
Maybe a few were white and I got lucky!
Or he made the cross both with Sabine and Sabine alba.
He's also made a similar cross - Mathilde (Sabine x macranthos var hotei) and these are also dark.

David

sabine alba?

Tom,

I've contacted Frank Schmidt the breeder of this plant with a photo and he tells me it is definitely a Sabine alba
Apparently 50% of this cross were the usual Sabine semi alba - mainly white with a bit of colour around the inner rim of the lip where it folds into the cup.
The other 50% were true albas.
Anyway I lucked out with this one!
The flower is very much tibeticum in shape and size but a true alba and on a tall stem.
About the best you could hope for from the cross.
I'm trying to find out a bit more about the individual plants used.
I'll post another photo when the other flower is open,

Regards,

David

mature Gabriela and Michael

Hi,

both these are now their best.
Gabriela has about 35 flowers and Michael a few less.
Michael has a bit less flower power than other hybrids but makes up for it with the delicate veining.
I'm not sure how big these hybrids will get before they start to go backwards.
Pixi is now up to 55 shoots.
We've left Michael Wienert's dictum of splitting when 10-15 shoots behind us a long time ago.

Regards,

David

Attachments

• gabriela 1.jpg
    gabriela 1.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 31
  • gabriela 2.jpg
    gabriela 2.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 16
  • michael 1.jpg
    michael 1.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 31
  • michael 2.jpg
    michael 2.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 19
David,

I think you are pushing the physical limit of growing Cyps in one single clump. You do see the occasional picture of C. reginae with a hundred stems or C. parviflorum with not quite so many, but that's about it. Also, what will you grow them in (a whisky barrel?), and how will you handle them during repotting, etc. Still, it is fantastic to see how far you can push them :clap:

BTW, the macranthos parent for GPH Tom Velardi was an alba form, but the Sabine parent was the pink type.

upper plant size

Tom,

you may be right about plant size.
I think the limit will be when the shoots at the edge have not enough room to grow apart from sideways!
I've heard that Peter Corkhill used to grow his biggest plants in polystyrene fish crates - big and very light.
It will depend on the size of the individual shoots, there is huge variation from the tiny parviflorum hybrids like Maria to the biggest kentuckiense like Lucy Pinkepank.
The alba story is interesting as regards whether it is dominant, partially dominant or recessive.
Most of the crosses between macranthos alba and different species seem to be 'semi albas' with a few albas here and there.
This particular Sabine cross is segregating 1:1 alba : semi alba.
It seems to be almost down to individual plants at to what the outcome will be.
Eventually I'd like to cross this Sabine with one of the x ventricosum albas to produce maybe a 100% alba cross.

Regards,

David

parents of this sabine alba cross

Tom,

I've just heard from Frank and the fasciolatum used was a good yellow form whilst the macranthos alba was a wild collected plant from near Vladivostock.
These particular albas are tall - 40-50 cm with large flowers, close in height to the forms known as mandschuricum.
They may possibly have a bit of x ventricosum blood in them.
Most of this cross turned out to be tall like the macranthos parent.

Regards,

david

David,

Ah, those "mandschuricum" plants indeed have hybrid blood IMO, so what exactly is in the mix with such hybrids, one can only guess. If I remember right, the plant Ron used was also of that type, not a typical macranthos alba.

Polystyrene crates do make great growing containers - they use them all the time for Cyps in Japan. They are especially good for ranging species like japonicum and formosanum.

a few more

Hi,

three more today.
First up a mature 'normal' form of Sabine, originally from Frosch.
Next up is the true alba form of Sabine with both flowers out.
I think it is a knockout.
Lastly a nice deep coloured maranthos seedling which has the 'baikal' form as one of the parents,

Regards,

david

Attachments

• sabine 1.jpg
    sabine 1.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 36
  • sabine 2.jpg
    sabine 2.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 24
  • sabine alba.jpg
    sabine alba.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 31
  • sabine alba 2.jpg
    sabine alba 2.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 16
  • macranthos red.jpg
    macranthos red.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 33
henryi, froschii and ventricosum

Hi,

this henryi has taken a few years to take off but this year there are four large growths with a total of 13 flowers. The largest growth has four in a line.

Next up is froschii. Again it grows a bit bigger each year, another growth, larger flowers. It is still pretty short - about 4-5 inches high.

Last is ventricosum pale. A frosch plant and fairly vigorous. It is starting to produce two flowers per stem as the plant matures.

Regards,

David

Attachments

• henryi 1.jpg
    henryi 1.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 34
  • henryi 2.jpg
    henryi 2.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 15
  • froschii 1.jpg
    froschii 1.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 29
  • froschii 2.jpg
    froschii 2.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 13
  • ventricosum pale.jpg
    ventricosum pale.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 36
All are wonderfully grown. Nice henryi! The froschii too is spendid - one of the nicest things about this plant is its small stature combined with those lovely big blooms. But, the ventricosum is a really great clone - I love the white flower with that splash of red-purple around the center. A real beauty!

Keep 'em coming please :clap:

Latest posts

Back