cyps in pots 2014

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

first flowers this year as you would expect are from formosanum.
This was a new plant last year as a result of a swap and it arrived as two large rhizomes.
It put up just four stems last year when establishing but this year is more like it, about 13 stems with 10 flowers.

Regards,

David

Attachments

• formosanum 1.jpg
    formosanum 1.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 119
  • formosanum 2.jpg
    formosanum 2.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 61
Amazing. Someday I will have to try this one. I'm just trying to figure out how to cultivate this genus on pots. These wont be able to stand our winters.

Very nice! and the habitual question: which substrate do you use. I need to repot two cypripedium reginae (see my today post about).

Looks great David. Mine have broken the soil as well, but are at least 2 weeks from flowering, maybe 3.

Brabantia, this plant seems to be a bit more greedy than most species Cyps for nutrients, so I have mine in a mix of native volcanic loam, pumice, and organic matter. Does fine. In pots however I'd use a more inorganic mix and up the fertilizing.

cyp culture

Brabantia,

there is plenty of discussion of pot culture in the cyps in pots threads from previous years (2012 and 2013).
I grow in oversized plastic pots in almost 100% inorganics - super coarse perlite plus a bit of orchid bark.
I find reginae is a potentially a large grower and to reach a size needs plenty of feed.
Quarter rate of the usual feeds is recommended but you can go a bit higher especially in spring whne the are just beginning their growth,

Regards,

David

a great and nice one congrats
mine will need a few days, but I think my planipetalum will be faster this year

Cyp segawai

Hi,

a lovely and diminutive species now more freely available with seed grown plants.
This one is about 6 inches high and flowering for the first time after settling down last year and producing a growth no more than 2 inches high.
No special treatment, the usual perlite compost,

Regards,

David

Attachments

• segawai 1.jpg
    segawai 1.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 51
  • segawai 2.jpg
    segawai 2.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 59
Inge and Michael alba

Hi,

start of the usual hybrids brings Inge and Michael alba.
Inge took a real set back 4 years ago when I repotted it and it is only just now really starting to motor.
Probably about mid 20's growths and about half the flowers now out. Nice red margin to the lip.
Michael alba is not really alba - more 'light green'. The flowers don't fade to white over time.
Michael is a grex that takes it's time to show it's true potential.
Early flowerings on young plants have weak stems and small flowers.
As the plant get bigger the stems strengthen and develop multiple flowers.
The final photo shows the plants growing on the north side of the greenhouse.
I'm feeding every week and watering probably twice a week. The flowers needed a bit of fleece protection from the odd frost this week.
I've spaced the pots out a bit more this year and there are more younger plants growing under the staging.
One or two suffered last year due to being overshadowed by other plants.

Regards,

David

Attachments

• michael 1.jpg
    michael 1.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 41
  • michael 2.jpg
    michael 2.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 24
  • inge 1.jpg
    inge 1.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 46
  • inge 2.jpg
    inge 2.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 24
  • gen view.jpg
    gen view.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 62
Hi,

start of the usual hybrids brings Inge and Michael alba.
Inge took a real set back 4 years ago when I repotted it and it is only just now really starting to motor.
Probably about mid 20's growths and about half the flowers now out. Nice red margin to the lip.
Michael alba is not really alba - more 'light green'. The flowers don't fade to white over time.
Michael is a grex that takes it's time to show it's true potential.
Early flowerings on young plants have weak stems and small flowers.
As the plant get bigger the stems strengthen and develop multiple flowers.
The final photo shows the plants growing on the north side of the greenhouse.
I'm feeding every week and watering probably twice a week. The flowers needed a bit of fleece protection from the odd frost this week.
I've spaced the pots out a bit more this year and there are more younger plants growing under the staging.
One or two suffered last year due to being overshadowed by other plants.

Regards,

David

Amazingly healthy group of plants. Wish I had the room to try growing on this scale.

this week's update

Updates showing the last week's growth.
Since the nights warmed up at the end of last week and we lost the threat of frost the shoots have really started to move.
The 2nd photo shows 'Gabriela' and 'Sabine alba' approaching full bloom.
Between them there are somewhere around 55 flowers.
Gabriela has so many shoots that I've had to support them with thin stakes as they develop otherwise the ones on the edge run
out of room and get pushed over.
I'll remove them when the shoots are fully developed and stronger.
The last photo is the hybrid 'Ursel'. Nice smallish yellow flowers,
David

Attachments

• gen view 1.jpg
    gen view 1.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 48
  • gen view 2.jpg
    gen view 2.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 50
  • ursel 1.jpg
    ursel 1.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 38
a couple of new ones

Hi,

this first cyp is my new favourite.
A seedling Sabine alba flowering for the first time.
This one has all the dominant characteristics of a macranthos and not a fasciolatum.
The plant is a decent height, probably just over a foot high.
My other Sabine clones are all shorter, although they tend to get taller as the plants mature.
However the main plus point is the flower.
It is big, about the size of a large tibeticum, so far appears to be completely albino and looks like a huge macranthos.
There is nothing elongated about the lip like most other clones of Sabine.
It has only just opened so may whiten over the coming days.
Second up we have fasciolatum growing well for the first time in several years.
It was repotted in 2009, didn't like the cold winter of 2010 and took several years to recover.
Now nine growths with seven flowers and will probably need another repot next autumn,
Regards,
David

Attachments

• sabine alba 1.jpg
    sabine alba 1.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 36
  • sabine alba 2.jpg
    sabine alba 2.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 15
  • sabine alba 3.jpg
    sabine alba 3.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 14