Cypripediums de Guatemala

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it does seem that this plant requires something nobody has been able to furnish it with yet. Soil fungi may be the key, or something as yet not understood. It would be interesting to try to grow it indefinitely in aseptic conditions, but I suppose that would become a logistical nightmare quickly.

I applaud the work you are doing with fungi Berthold, and your intense interest Naoki. The solution may indeed be in there somewhere. Perhaps it needs a cocktail of symbionts - that is what the pdf I linked to suggests.

The other option would be to try keeping it pathogen free with a continuous supply of antifungal compounds... assuming you could meet its other requirements.

Berthold, any luck with C. subtropicum?

Tom, another problem is to keep bacteria away beside bad fungi. The plant associated fungus or fungi cocktail produces antibiotica. That helps themselves and the plant also.

I am sure it's possible to grow this species in aseptic conditions, but the problems of that You mentioned already.

Subtropicum is doing well meanwhile in warm living room condition during winter time with low humidity which you applicate for ironing bedclothes (bügelfeucht)

Tom, another problem is to keep bacteria away beside bad fungi. The plant associated fungus or fungi cocktail produces antibiotica. That helps themselves and the plant also.

OK, but couldn't you use artificial chemicals to accomplish the same thing? Don't get me wrong, I applaud your approach, I'm just wondering.

I am sure it's possible to grow this species in aseptic conditions, but the problems of that You mentioned already.

Yes, kind of like a really sick hospital patient! Not a nice image.

Subtropicum is doing well meanwhile in warm living room condition during winter time with low humidity which you applicate for ironing bedclothes (bügelfeucht)

OK, sorry, lost this one in translation. You mean the poor plant(s) get ironed everyday? :rollhappy: If they are doing well for you, that is great. Virtually everyone else I've talked to about their plants are not having much luck. Lots of people claiming to have luck, but let's just say I don't trust them. You however, I would trust to report the truth.

OK, but couldn't you use artificial chemicals to accomplish the same thing? Don't get me wrong, I applaud your approach, I'm just wondering.

I just did quick check. It seems that for the other type of the mycorrhizae (endo-/Arbuscular mycorrhizae), there are some studies how the resistance against disease is achieved. The process is not well understood, but salicylic acid pathway seems to be involved. However, orchids are associated with ecto-mycorrhizae, and I didn't find any info so far. They may have different mechanisms.

A couple of my Cyps deflasked in 2012 seem to get the black leaves (assuming fungal infection) every year. I'm going to try including aspirin for every water this year.

However, orchids are associated with ecto-mycorrhizae, and I didn't find any info so far. They may have different mechanisms.

Germination of orchid seeds is a endo mycorrhiza process where the orchid protocorm parasitizes the fungus but ecto mycorrhiza can develope in a later stadium of the plant live.

I guess it is all a matter of time and patience to finding the way. We used to say that many Australian terrestrials were impossible, and now we can buy them in pots of inoculated soil.

I wonder given time if we can find the key to this plant? :drool:

Brett

I guess it is all a matter of time and patience to finding the way.

I wonder given time if we can find the key to this plant? :drool:

Brett

I would say the key is known, but it is very difficult to handle, like it is complicate to cultivate truffle.

Latest posts

Back