Cypripediums de Guatemala

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was in contact with the person who took some of these pics. He says he tried to grow them, taking some to his garden, and he still failed even though he took soil with them.

He was saying that parts of the habitat are being destroyed by illegal rubbish dumping. Sad as it can not be grown it seems, let alone exported legally.

Brett

hey,
this August I got some pics from a buddy here in Europe,
showing a C. irapeanum plant flowering "on his windowsill".
Unfortunately he asked me to keep the pics secret :(

I dont know -didnt ask-, whether the plants were "digged" or grown from seeds.

BUT I asked some informations about his plants and he told me, that he cultivates the plants in pots for many years, and he called them "shy bloomers" under his conditions. The shown plant last flowered 6 years ago.

He also told me the "recipe" of the potting mix, no spectacular (inorganic) ingredients.

Insofar it "seems to be not so difficult"......... if one has a plant ;)

I estimate, that seedlings might be available in the next years,
if he finds a successful lab............

cheers

OK, this is one of the pics..............

Attachments

• 1C.irapeanum 14082010.jpg
    1C.irapeanum 14082010.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 126
I am curious why it has not been possible to identify the fungi this plant is dependent on as has been done with other terrestrials

The real problems begin after deflasking

12370674345_222e9b1ac2_b.jpg

The seedlings are lost in all different substrates 2 months after deflasking :mad:

One must learn how to grow the fungus first before the plants I'm guessing.

I agree. Maybe You have to grow both together or there is a third partner necessary even, living roots of a tree or something like that.

According to Tom's link, fungi are from Tulasnaceae. My friend, who studies mycorrhizae of Corallorhiza, said that many mychorrhizae is difficult to culture. But according to this info, B1 (Tulasnella) germinator can be cultivated (and available from UK sources). I wonder if inoculating the deflasked C. irapeanum with B1 can help. There are some specificity between the host and fungi, but there seems to be some wiggle room, too.

Sorry to hear Berthold :(
Good luck with the fungi, though it seems the wild plant is difficult even when planted in substrate removed from its original growing position.

According to Tom's link, fungi are from Tulasnaceae. My friend, who studies mycorrhizae of Corallorhiza, said that many mychorrhizae is difficult to culture. But according to this info, B1 (Tulasnella) germinator can be cultivated (and available from UK sources). I wonder if inoculating the deflasked C. irapeanum with B1 can help. There are some specificity between the host and fungi, but there seems to be some wiggle room, too.

I am doing a lot with B1 and A36 also. It's a good germinator for a lot of tuber orchis species.
But I don't think it has the potence to protect Cypripedium against fungi and bacterial attacks

Thanks for the info, Berthold. I found some info about B1, but I can't find info about A36 or Q414. Do you happen to know what kind of fungi they are (e.g. fungal family, which plant they are isolated from etc)? I'd like to learn about the symbiotic germination methods, but I'm not finding lots of info.

Does anyone know if there is a source of these fungi in the US? I looked at Hardy Orchid society in the UK, and they have a few kinds. But I'm assuming that they can't ship it to the US.

Latest posts

Back