Cypripediums de Guatemala

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looks more like Selenipedium to me... Selenipedium chica is the only one I know that grows in Central America, but not sure if as far north as Guatemala... I have never seen a flower os this species, so cannot say whether it is yellow or not...

Last edited by a moderator:
Cypripedium irapeanum.
One of my favourite but impossible to grow(seems for eveyone).
One of the few subtropical/hot grower Cyps.(irapeanum,molle and a 3rd that i can remember from central america and subtropicum from asia)
Many peoples have tryed to grow this beauty with no success(also the most experienced Cyps growers) and unfortunately,I heard that also artificially propagated plants are also impossible to grow.
Someone knows about a successfull irapeanum growing story?

Hear are a few more shots of Rodolfo Rene Hernandez Reyes's Photos
37432404768696734523636.jpg

28284404768591734523636.jpg

28284404768576734523636.jpg
[/URL]

It is Cyp. irapeanum.
Problem in cultivation is that this species has no self protection mechanisms against infections. So You need a special fungus in the root system to protect it against other fungi and microorganisms.
Without this special fungus the plant starts rotting in a pot immediately. Same problems You have with Selenipedium aequinoctiale.

How does it hybridize? Maybe if crossed with pubescens or calceolus a similar looking, but hardier, plant could be developed.

That's just what I was thinking or maybe an all yellow var of kentickiense to produce a huge flower hybrid. Does this tropical Cyp flower in may (or even spring)? If not, How long can the pollen be stored?

Very nice! Very rare to see a pic of this one. Would be cool if it could be hybridized.

It is Cyp. irapeanum.
Problem in cultivation is that this species has no self protection mechanisms against infections. So You need a special fungus in the root system to protect it against other fungi and microorganisms.
Without this special fungus the plant starts rotting in a pot immediately...

Do you mean use of substrate like Neudohum??? I recenlty read about this material....!!

Great pictures btw!! What is the smaller one??

Do you mean use of substrate like Neudohum??? I recenlty read about this material....!!

I could not hold a Cyp ira in my hand yet but I did some test on Seleni aequi without success.

20% Neudohum beside Seramis is a good substrate component but thats not all. You have to disinfect the root system of the plant as perfectly as possible. I missed in that point.

I believe it is the same...just a junt!

In my opinion,the big one is shurely C.irapeanum,but the small one I think is not the same species...
I think is C.dickinsonianum...rare photo(and plant)....really thanks for shareing those photos!

In my opinion,the big one is shurely C.irapeanum,but the small one I think is not the same species...
I think is C.dickinsonianum...rare photo(and plant)....really thanks for shareing those photos!

I didn't notice the small plant yet but I completely agree its dickinsonianum.

First photo I see of this species. Congratulation to the photographer.

Latest posts

Back