Cypripedium subtropicum line drawing

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No doubt this species seems to be a phantom. Only once was it found in flower in the wild (in 1980) in Medog County and no other flowering plants have been seen by botanists since then. Perner states that fruiting plants that closely resemble this species were collected in east Yunnan 70 years ago, but that region has been largely deforested. No other scientific records have been made, but from time to time plants have been offered on the black market as being C. subtropicum. None of these have been photographed or shown publicly, but apparently they turned out to be an Epipactus species in truth.

This species appears to be a native of alluvial forests which regularly are destroyed or altered by floods. The area that the type specimen was collected from was at least partially destroyed by a flood years ago due to a landslide that caused a natural damn in the river. When that broke all downstream forests were washed away. The species is known only from one location along a tributary of the massive Yarlung Tsangpo River in Tibet (this same river is called the Brahmaputra River once it enters India). Given that this region is extremely remote and vast, and also is closed to outsiders for the most part, it is likely that additional populations exist somewhere.

So, until someone finds them again and photographs them, we will have to just wait and dream about this most unique Cyp. There is a remote possibility that someone is growing poached specimens somewhere, but nobody is fessing up to that!

No doubt this species seems to be a phantom. Only once was it found in flower in the wild (in 1980) in Medog County and no other flowering plants have been seen by botanists since then. Perner states that fruiting plants that closely resemble this species were collected in east Yunnan 70 years ago, but that region has been largely deforested. No other scientific records have been made, but from time to time plants have been offered on the black market as being C. subtropicum. None of these have been photographed or shown publicly, but apparently they turned out to be an Epipactus species in truth.

This species appears to be a native of alluvial forests which regularly are destroyed or altered by floods. The area that the type specimen was collected from was at least partially destroyed by a flood years ago due to a landslide that caused a natural damn in the river. When that broke all downstream forests were washed away. The species is known only from one location along a tributary of the massive Yarlung Tsangpo River in Tibet (this same river is called the Brahmaputra River once it enters India). Given that this region is extremely remote and vast, and also is closed to outsiders for the most part, it is likely that additional populations exist somewhere.

So, until someone finds them again and photographs them, we will have to just wait and dream about this most unique Cyp. There is a remote possibility that someone is growing poached specimens somewhere, but nobody is fessing up to that!

Yikes! Thanks for clearing up my erroneous posts. I'll be saving this info!

Hello friends of rare Cypripedium species, is there any information about finding subtropicum at this position meanwhile?

Interesting question. I have not heard of any confirmed populations within Vietnam's borders, but it is highly likely. The people to ask would be collectors on the ground. C. lentiginosum would be another likely candidate for that location.

sorry Berthold,
I dont know any IN THIS FORUM............

they only love pics from "Cyps in progress" :D

cheers

Our nameless, locationless friend cyprimaniac, your jabs at the forum and its members are not appreciated. It is vaguely apparent that you hold some great body of knowledge on Cypripediums that you have yet to share. I encourage and personally invite you to do so here!!! I enjoy your image posts! I also appreciate your attempts at identifying species and hybrids others wish to share.

In this forum, you will find members from all over the globe and of all levels of expertise from beginning hobbyists to hobbyists with large collections of many genera to commercial growers. Please expect the posts to equally reflect this diversity. Jabs at what you consider to be "silly" posts is not productive, and smileys don't make being discourteous okay.

Well said Ernie. I doubt it will do much good to try and speak sense to him. He seems intent on getting shown the door.

Our nameless, locationless friend cyprimaniac, your jabs at the forum and its members are not appreciated. It is vaguely apparent that you hold some great body of knowledge on Cypripediums that you have yet to share. I encourage and personally invite you to do so here!!! I enjoy your image posts! I also appreciate your attempts at identifying species and hybrids others wish to share.

In this forum, you will find members from all over the globe and of all levels of expertise from beginning hobbyists to hobbyists with large collections of many genera to commercial growers. Please expect the posts to equally reflect this diversity. Jabs at what you consider to be "silly" posts is not productive, and smileys don't make being discourteous okay.

True words Ernie, my thoughts exactly.

hello Ernie,
pls let me know, if you are serioulsly interested to know HOW I cultivate my Cypripediums (see your other posting).

After about 45 years of growing Cyps, there is not only VAGELY experience of HOW TO DO IT SUCCESSFULLY - believe me (see my separate PM) :)

Be patient, you will see much more flower pics from my small collection of Cyps soon (if SUPERMODERATOR allows), and also pics for those folks who love "Cyps in progress".

It MIGHT BE that you and some other folks DO NOT understand IRONY,
but thats the reason I use the smileys from the forum,
and I think that it is usefull to look at them for you too.

last but not least I would not bet, who of us KNOW personally MORE EXPERTS from this forum
and not in this forum from all over the world,
alive and already dead :(
YOU OR ME.................

:pity:

Dieter,

I am most certainly very interested in some details of your cyp cultivation!

Thanks for the charming PMs. Your experience is well demonstrated in them. Now please share your knowledge with the rest of us here on the forum instead of berating others.

Also sorry for the confusion about your experience. Your profile lists you as a newbie, you state you've been growing cyps for 45 years here, and you told Dot you've been growing for 35 years in another post. Again, your ability to grow these gorgeous things is beyond dispute!!! Please share your knowledge.

Why did I use the wording "vaguely apparent" in reference to your knowledge depth? Because I can tell you are VERY experienced but you just seem reluctant to share it here because you fell this forum is inferior or something? You wish to communicate with only a select few people while treating the rest of us like idiots.. and babies that like pictures of flowerless Cyp noses.

I do recognize Dieter as a masculine European name, as is Ernest. In my case derived from my Swedish grandfather's name Ernst. Ernie and Bert are on Sesame Street not the Muppets (other than the occasional cameo).

I also never claimed to know more experts than you. I simply stated the diversity of this forum and that one would expect to find posts of all kinds. I know proportionally few experts. I am pretty sure, however, that Dr. Cribb's first name is Phil, not Paul.

Ernie and Dieter (not Bernd), come back to the point please. What are Your personal experiences in growing Cypripedium subropicum?

Ernie and Dieter (not Bernd), come back to the point please. What are Your personal experiences in growing Cypripedium subropicum?

for my part, Berthold,
I am very sorry, but I do not grow C. subtropicum
and do not intend to do so.

so maybe Ernie might help you
or any other - in contrary to me experienced growers - can do ........

cheers

My point exactly. I have zero experience with this species. Can't wait to see it and how to cultivate it.

An interesting species. I hope we will have it in collections one day..

I was sent some seed from China as a gift and sent it to a friend in the USA for flasking. It has germinated, but waiting now for leaves to be produced.

My friend who sent it from China, says he intends to try to cross his plant with warm growing species from America and Asia. He is also trying to flask propagate it. I hope he succeeds.

Brett

Dieter,

I am most certainly very interested in some details of your cyp cultivation!

Thanks for the charming PMs. Your experience is well demonstrated in them. Now please share your knowledge with the rest of us here on the forum instead of berating others.

Also sorry for the confusion about your experience. Your profile lists you as a newbie, you state you've been growing cyps for 45 years here, and you told Dot you've been growing for 35 years in another post. Again, your ability to grow these gorgeous things is beyond dispute!!! Please share your knowledge.

Why did I use the wording "vaguely apparent" in reference to your knowledge depth? Because I can tell you are VERY experienced but you just seem reluctant to share it here because you fell this forum is inferior or something? You wish to communicate with only a select few people while treating the rest of us like idiots.. and babies that like pictures of flowerless Cyp noses.

I do recognize Dieter as a masculine European name, as is Ernest. In my case derived from my Swedish grandfather's name Ernst. Ernie and Bert are on Sesame Street not the Muppets (other than the occasional cameo).

I also never claimed to know more experts than you. I simply stated the diversity of this forum and that one would expect to find posts of all kinds. I know proportionally few experts. I am pretty sure, however, that Dr. Cribb's first name is Phil, not Paul.

pour des informations pas de commentaire ( für Informationen kein Kommentar )

hey,
I have about 20 different species and hybrids,
cultivating Cyps for about 35 years now :)

cheers
dieter

It might be me but this topic is getting more and more confusing with each and every post in it. :S

Latest posts

Back