Cypripedium segawai

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPMC

Reaction score
I bought this plant in 2008 from a Japanese grower who also grew Neofinetias and other Japanese orchids. It took me some time to figure its requirements out. Aside from growing it up from a seedling I had to adjust to the fact that unlike the other Cypripediums with which I am familiar, this one has a ~9 month growing season before it goes into the refrigerator for the winter. I finally think that I have it made it happy. The purple dots on the flower seem to be normal, although this is my first flowering of it.

Cypripediumsegawaiplant03-18-2013_zps4e294f98.jpg
[/IMG]

Cypripediumsegawaiflowerfront03-18-2013_zps6a69af04.jpg
[/IMG]

Cypripediumsegawaiflowerside03-18-2013_zps92b5360a.jpg
[/IMG]

Hold on to that baby! Getting rare as a pure species in the world. Very rare in habitat these days, perhaps "extinct". If you can produce seed and get it to a person like Ron Burch or Troy Meyers, that would be ideal.

Lovely little plant, cherish it!

I assumed that it was common in Japan (I paid the equivalent of $ 100.00 including importaion fees) although not cheap. When I tried to find the communication I had with the seller, I found that the host server is no longer active. Do you know if a selfling would be genetically robust? I assumed that this plant was a selfling so selfing it might not be a good idea.

I assumed that it was common in Japan (I paid the equivalent of $ 100.00 including importaion fees) although not cheap. When I tried to find the communication I had with the seller, I found that the host server is no longer active. Do you know if a selfling would be genetically robust? I assumed that this plant was a selfling so selfing it might not be a good idea.

Common in Japan, no, but around. No plant is cheap in Japan, especially seed grown or coveted species :rollhappy: Selfing should be fine for most Cyps, and I suspect that with many of the rarer types that have been flasked successfully, this is the case. Given the limited plants in the trade of this species, I wonder just how much genetic variation exists among them anyway.

Common in Japan, no, but around. No plant is cheap in Japan, especially seed grown or coveted species :rollhappy: Selfing should be fine for most Cyps, and I suspect that with many of the rarer types that have been flasked successfully, this is the case. Given the limited plants in the trade of this species, I wonder just how much genetic variation exists among them anyway.

In that case I may give it a try. I'm not too sure that it is safe to tax a plant that I just started to grow well with a seedpod.

In that case I may give it a try. I'm not too sure that it is safe to tax a plant that I just started to grow well with a seedpod.

That is a real consideration. If you collect the pod while still green, say around 6 weeks after pollination, and fast ship it to the flasker, then the effect on the plant is far less stressful. The embryos then can be "rescued" from the pod - a very reliable method if the embryos are developed enough. Pods allowed to go to full term can indeed be a drain on a young plant.

Hi you have a really beauty there congrats for that one.
Only have crosses with it. The last year you see them more and more availabel in Europe. As some big vendors where succesfull, this year they where on sale for around 120€. But this one could have potential you nearly only see the yeloow ones, the ones with purple in it are nearly not seen anymore so yours could have it.
Ron I think wait 42 days after pollination for most of his kinds.
Should be fine with this one.
If you would have pollen to spare I would like to use it.

If you grow it now for 3 years and it flowes now it should be strong enough, or it could be his last one if you self it or not.
They flwoer for 2 reasons, they are happy and strong enough to flowr, so seed will not be to much stress for it.
The second thing is they plant is going to pass away but then you cannot really stop it.
Wish you a lot of luck with your plant

Hi you have a really beauty there congrats for that one.
Only have crosses with it. The last year you see them more and more availabel in Europe. As some big vendors where succesfull, this year they where on sale for around 120€. But this one could have potential you nearly only see the yeloow ones, the ones with purple in it are nearly not seen anymore so yours could have it.
Ron I think wait 42 days after pollination for most of his kinds.
Should be fine with this one.
If you would have pollen to spare I would like to use it.

If you grow it now for 3 years and it flowes now it should be strong enough, or it could be his last one if you self it or not.
They flwoer for 2 reasons, they are happy and strong enough to flowr, so seed will not be to much stress for it.
The second thing is they plant is going to pass away but then you cannot really stop it.
Wish you a lot of luck with your plant

Thanks for the input. I will try to self it.

Lovely thing and as Dido says, they are just becoming available now as seed grown plants for a high price. Crustacare had some seedlings for sale.
The purple spotting is evident in some plants - check out the photos of segawai in the new cyp book by Cribb and Frosch.
I was told by the person that has just sent me one that they are early risers - maybe along with formosanum and a long growing season,
Regards,
David

Lovely thing and as Dido says, they are just becoming available now as seed grown plants for a high price. Crustacare had some seedlings for sale.
The purple spotting is evident in some plants - check out the photos of segawai in the new cyp book by Cribb and Frosch.
I was told by the person that has just sent me one that they are early risers - maybe along with formosanum and a long growing season,
Regards,
David

Thanks for the information. I wish I knew about the growing season length when I first bought it. If I did, I may have gotten blooms earlier.

Regards,
David

I had this early problem last year too with the calceolus hybrid.
When I got it it was started and I tried to cool it, the plant hated it and I could not stop it, the bud was gone inside due to the fight with my plant.
The funny think it went dormant in june, and started to grow agin in august.
This one I could keep green till oktober, and now it is sleeping still in my cooler :evil:
Fomrosanum stay close to it, and it started already. Hope to see flowers this year. have a fsciolatum X segawai too hope on flowering this year.

David are yours bought over Jeff??

By the way if you want to self it its best to start as early as possibel.

I learned this from pollinating bardolphilianum, sometimes the time you can do it is very short.

I'll have to find my Orchid Digest magazine with an article from Ron Burch on Cyps (http://www.orchiddigest.com/orchid-digest-75-3.html#1), but I think I recall him saying that the plant needs 3 or 4 more years after its first bloom in order for plant to be strong enough to set seeds; any attempt now to set seeds will result in unsuccessful fertilization.

I'll have to find my Orchid Digest magazine with an article from Ron Burch on Cyps (http://www.orchiddigest.com/orchid-digest-75-3.html#1), but I think I recall him saying that the plant needs 3 or 4 more years after its first bloom in order for plant to be strong enough to set seeds; any attempt now to set seeds will result in unsuccessful fertilization.

Well now I'm not so sure that I should self it. If anyone wants pollen, I will save some.

Latest posts

Back