Cypripedium Season in Mid-Atlantic US

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's Cypripedium season in the Mid-Atlantic US, Maryland in this case. One of the most spectacular is Cypripedium Christian (shanxiense x hotei-atsumorianum), obtained as a single growth from Orchids at Post Hill at the 2019 Paph Forum. This should be a difficult entity, given that shanxiense is notoriously fussy and hotei-atsumorianum is a Japanese high-mountain species. Instead, it has increased to 7 growths including a two flowered growth while enduring 100°+F summers. It is planted in the Himalayan raised bed with a substrate of essentially gravel — Turface, Espoma Soil Perfector, pea gravel, and sand. No organic matter, but receives an annual handful of Espoma BulbTone. The bed is located in a breezy spot beneath the open shade of an oriental persimmon. I'll be attempting a hybrid with my particularly vigorous Cypripedium pubescens, aiming for bright colors and continued heat tolerance.

Attachments

• Cypripedium Christian.JPG
    Cypripedium Christian.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
I was able to get 4 Cyp. parviflorum at a very good price from eBay vendor mth1948. They shipped in bud so, I treated the dead_blasted ends with Dragon's Blood and potted up. The media/soil is what they were planed in at the vendor.

Attachments

• 20230604_131832.jpg
    20230604_131832.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Back