curled back venustum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomBEE

Reaction score
bought it about 2 years ago when it blossomed. Last year, the only bud was blasted. this year, one spike with 2 buds: one opened, one blasted.

Attachments

• DSC05367.JPG
    DSC05367.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 21
Probably keeping it too dry... my venustum’s did the same thing when I first started growing them, until I started keeping them wet all year.

btw, dear junglejewel, how do u keep them wet? more frequent watering? use substrate that can hold more water?

btw, dear junglejewel, how do u keep them wet? more frequent watering? use substrate that can hold more water?
They need to be in an airy mixture of substrate, but one that is very very moist constantly. That’s what I’ve found with all my venustum’s by trial and error. Most of mine are in a mixture of 50% New Zealand sphagnum moss, 25% small orchiata bark, and 25%, #3 perlite, but I have venustum’s in a variety of substrate, and they all do well as long as they are kept very moist like Borneo/Sumatra species. Remember, venustum’s come from the wettest jungle on earth.

again, thx junglejewel for the detailed tip!
tomBEE, check out the few posts I’ve made of a few venustum’s of mine this past month to see the results I get from keeping venustum’s on the wet side. I really went into detail on my care of them in the post I made a couple days ago of my venustum ‘fox catcher’ x self.

Latest posts

Back