corybas diemenicus

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyw

Reaction score
A recently acquired gift. The whole plant is only one inch high and the flower about half an inch across

Attachments

• Untitled 1.jpg
    Untitled 1.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 40
Tony, have you tried growing these before? Any cultural tips?

very cool. when we imported aussie species from nesbitt's, my corybas (not this species) didn't even emerge even though the tubers looked very healthy :(

These guys are tough to keep happy Charles. I've managed to keep C. hipidus alive for 3 years now, and though it has expanded to four plants I can't get it to flower again. There is definitely a trick to them. While in growth they should be kept humid, so some folks grow them in clear shoeboxes. My plants are in a grow room that has an RH near 100% 24/7.

Charles that is all the foliage there is!

I have only had it a short time but for the flower to develop it needs to be cool and humid.The picture shows how I am growing it. The outer pot is filled with damp sand with the plant in its plastic pot plunged. It is then covered with a cut off plastic bottle.It does not want full sun. I understand the dormant period is difficult when it needs to be warm and just damp,but can rot easily if too wet.

Attachments

• corybas diemenicus cultivation 21jan13.jpg
    corybas diemenicus cultivation 21jan13.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 13
Charles that is all the foliage there is!

I have only had it a short time but for the flower to develop it needs to be cool and humid.The picture shows how I am growing it. The outer pot is filled with damp sand with the plant in its plastic pot plunged. It is then covered with a cut off plastic bottle.It does not want full sun. I understand the dormant period is difficult when it needs to be warm and just damp,but can rot easily if too wet.

Looks good Tony. Can you give an average temperature while in growth - day/night?

I worry about my plants in summer too since it gets downright HOT here. Each summer I put the pot in a humid place and water it once in a while to keep it just moist. I've managed to carry them through two summers this way.

The next hard part is fertilizing so they will produce nice, flowering size bulbs next season. It is way too easy to burn a plant that size...

I am looking at about 10c at night and about 14c during the day.I do not get hot summers,20c is a heatwave so that will not be a problem.

Latest posts

Back