Cattleya percivalliana

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Another plant that is flowering very early after the house move. The catts seem to be enjoying their new grow room and LED lights.
This plant came labelled as the clone summit but I’m not sure about that. It smells vaguely of mushrooms.
Anyway two leads each with two flowers on probably half mature sized growths. I’m pleased with this.
The flowers are about 12cm across and photograph well in the morning sun.
IMG_1401.jpegIMG_1402.jpegIMG_1403.jpegIMG_1404.jpeg
David

Putting on a great show, congrats! Seems like things haven’t even missed a beat. I agree, it doesn’t really look like ‘Summit’. Perhaps from a selfing?

I just would like to add something here and perhaps you would all agree.
Cattleya percivaliana, AND Cattleya lueddemanniana are two stunning species that produce great flowers. Even some mediocre clones, some ahem, average clones are still beautiful!
I do not know if there is anything bad about either one of them!! 🎉🥰🤔

I just would like to add something here and perhaps you would all agree.
Cattleya percivaliana, AND Cattleya lueddemanniana are two stunning species that produce great flowers. Even some mediocre clones, some ahem, average clones are still beautiful!
I do not know if there is anything bad about either one of them!! 🎉🥰🤔
These two species have good round shapes in the wild already yes.

Perfect. Pattern recognition to the rescue (doesn’t look like…) and then you can give the specifics.
That’s right.

Sometimes if the plant is not flowering at its maximum, the flowers can adapt to health and conditions.

We all had that expectation when we buy a mericlone or division, and they underperformed under our less than ideal conditions. Then 3 years later, if we haven’t tossed them out yet (or killed inadvertently), the magical ‘original’ promised flowers appear :).

David, be patient! I have this original division of Summit from Waldor. The Off family is completely trustworthy in their record keeping that goes back generations. Here is their description of the plant I bought.

“C. percivaliana ‘Summit’ FCC/AOS DIVISION OF ORIGINAL Waldor LG.
From the famous firm of Lager & Hurrell. This is one of the classics. Once the premier cut flower for the late fall and early winter holidays. Easy to grow! Very unique fragrance. While you can find newer mericlones of this easily, what sets this plant apart is that it is a division from Longwood Gardens collection.”

Mine was a small division purchased 10/20 and on first bloom (11/18 - 12/15/20), I was way under-impressed as the flowers (2) were what I thought were very small, even tiny for a catt. [Can’t speak to form, as I didn’t know enough to know then and honestly don’t know different species and hybrids now well enough to recognize good form, unless it’s round and flat.]
Repotted 3/21. And again 2/22. It was growing well and went into a 5.5” x 6.5” pot.
Second bloom 7/18/22 (again was 2 flowers) and i took notice as flowers were larger, but still small. It was encouraging though.
It bloomed again 5/23 with 2 flowers, and I was really pleased to see the flowers coming into their own.
For some reason, I have NO photos of this plant’s bloom whatsoever. No explanation for that, except life got in the way. But suffice it to say, patience pays off.
I’m not sure your plant is not Summit. Although I certainly respect those who think it doesn’t look like it. Please keep us posted on future blooms. And, keep your chin up. It’s a lovely flower!!

Last edited:
Echoing all the other praise, lovely lovely indeed.
I'd like to request a straight-on frontal shot, if you have time.
The color of the lip in the sunlight is just eye-poppingly gorgeous, can't imagine how captivating it must be in person.

Latest posts

Back