Cattleya violacea

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kavanaru

The parents of this one are (rubra flamea 'Alcebiades' x tipo 'Golias'), however it is neither rubra nor flamea...

the shape is very nice, but the flowers are very small... the smallest C. violacea that I have ever seen!

another interesting thing on this plant is that it has no fragrance at all! Also the first C. violacea without fragrance I see!

the color on the first picture is a little bit weird due to the flash of my mobile phone... It is actually closer to the color on picture 2, but a bit darker... Picture 2 was taken the same day it opened and neither shape nor color had settled down yet.. In the second picture it is compared to C. violacea tipo 'Robusta' which I think I have shown before...

Cattleya violacea (rubra flamea 'Alcebiades' x tipo 'Golias') by kavanaru, on Flickr

Cattleya violacea by kavanaru, on Flickr

in case I had not shown 'Robusta' yet, as I could not find the thread now, here is a picture of it again in full bloom :)

Cattleya violacea tipo "Robusta" by kavanaru, on Flickr

Thanks! Personally, I like the 'Robusta' better... The other plant h a better shape, according to AOS standards, but belongs to those selected violaceas (no pumila in this plants at all! In the second pic, the flower was not fully open!) that tend to look like a walkeriana on steroids (also no walkeriana in them!)...

Latest posts

Back