Cattleya tenebrosa ‘Rainforest’ FCC/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guldal, there is no logical or scientific reason to reverse 200 years of botanic tradition and lump together Cattleya, Laelia and Sophronitis species. John Lindley decided to separate Laelia from Cattleya because Laelias have 8 pollinia, Cattleyas normally only 4. There are observable differences in size, plant habit, morphology and anatomical details which all add up to the conclusion these genera should be kept separate. Every time I see "Cattleya grandis" or "Cattleya coccinea" in print I inwardly cringe. The truth is, cladistic studies conducted by Wesley Higgins and others are really in their infancy and I seriously doubt that we currently have the knowledge to use such data as a basis for classifying plants. Dr. Carl Withner specialized in his long botanic career in the Cattleyas and their relatives and he never considered for a moment to lump very different orchids together merely because they shared some similar genes.
The truth is, lumping is currently in vogue with some botanists and they currently (and I hope, momentarily) dominate the orchid scene. You could use their logic to call human beings apes, too, but I for one would still like to be considered a member of Homo sapiens.
Thank you for taking the time to expound upon this subject, setaylien!
In the realm of Paphiopedilum I tend to be in the camp of the lumperers, as I find, that often rather insignificant and smaller differences are being used to herald new varieties - differences, that in my opinion would be better understood as an expression of the range of variation within the typical variety.
With Sophronitis, though, I whole heartedly share your feelings - and, thank God, the taxonomy police doesn't have access to my window sill, where I'm clinging to my tags of Sophronitis, whilst stonewalling! 😉
Being only of middle age, I never the less feel a bit like a dinosaur of 80+ years, when it comes to "Phalaenopsis japonica"...muttering under my breath : "For me you will always remain Sedirea japonica" (no matter where the plant actually belongs, anything else would be such a shame...throwing one a the very few botanical jokes out with the bath water!")

Guldal, there is no logical or scientific reason to reverse 200 years of botanic tradition and lump together Cattleya, Laelia and Sophronitis species. John Lindley decided to separate Laelia from Cattleya because Laelias have 8 pollinia, Cattleyas normally only 4. There are observable differences in size, plant habit, morphology and anatomical details which all add up to the conclusion these genera should be kept separate. Every time I see "Cattleya grandis" or "Cattleya coccinea" in print I inwardly cringe. The truth is, cladistic studies conducted by Wesley Higgins and others are really in their infancy and I seriously doubt that we currently have the knowledge to use such data as a basis for classifying plants. Dr. Carl Withner specialized in his long botanic career in the Cattleyas and their relatives and he never considered for a moment to lump very different orchids together merely because they shared some similar genes.
The truth is, lumping is currently in vogue with some botanists and they currently (and I hope, momentarily) dominate the orchid scene. You could use their logic to call human beings apes, too, but I for one would still like to be considered a member of Homo sapiens.
Totally agree.There was a clear and logical standard for classifying them.New taxinomical system is only a chaos for me.

Thanks. I love tenebrosa and have a couple of different color forms and the hybrid Pacavia (tenebrosa x purpurata ) but do not have a nice aurea form So looking.

Thanks for sharing, I have never seen this primary cross before.

If one were looking for a Maria Fumaca, have you seen any nurseries make these available? Where should one look?

Thanks for sharing, I have never seen this primary cross before.

If one were looking for a Maria Fumaca, have you seen any nurseries make these available? Where should one look?
Pete, I have not seen. I got mine from an older grower who passed some time ago. If I see one Or if I divide I’ll post.
In the same vain if one were looking for a nice yellow/aurea any idea where to look?

Pete, I have not seen. I got mine from an older grower who passed some time ago. If I see one Or if I divide I’ll post.
In the same vain if one were looking for a nice yellow/aurea any idea where to look?
Try Sunset Valley (Fred), Orchids Limited (Jerry) or EBay (where I got my aurea, not sure who though?)

Latest posts

Back