Cattleya tenebrosa ‘Rainforest’ FCC/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrLeslieEe

Scholar, Addict and Aficionado of Orchidacea
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These blooms crept up on me when I wasn’t looking lol.

A very old classic of the species, used in breeding the tenebrosas we see today. In fact, I bred this with a fantastic round flowered tenebrosa from GlenD couple years ago and the seedlings are all in flasks now.

Flowers can be large, around 22 cm if happy. Unfortunately my plant needed repotting and the flowers were not big this year. From a division.

9750EC33-BE0B-4F03-A0C0-2EAB46A56DFA.jpeg7FA0A99E-47A2-4C25-896A-8B3B5E681F01.jpeg60A31DBF-3581-4E49-AD54-C080B8C3B808.jpeg8B98C299-CF24-47D5-8187-375E7AAEF445.jpeg9963A244-B920-4D7D-A6A5-DB88EE49D25F.jpeg3CDF0893-15F1-4A8F-8DB1-1EA5534641B5.jpeg

Yes. I’m in the market for this species. Krull smith has a nice big one for sale but ... it’s BIG. I need more room.
They do get quite tall but with small footprint. The newer ones are slightly shorter.

However the alba and the aurea versions are about 1.5 feet tall, so maybe try those if you can find them. This is one of my tenebrosa aurea blooming at a friend’s GH (thanks to Dave).

AC8F2561-52D3-44BB-8887-D16000C22DC9.jpegF2EE2341-1A37-4FA9-A359-882EC45E4477.jpeg

Lovely species. Your aurea is great! There shall be also an alba form out there, but who has it ever seen? Is yours smelling?

Both colour forms can only elicit 'Ah's and 'Oh's from this party! :)

But can anybody give me a reasonable explanation, why this is (now transferred to?) Cattleya? I've never seen anything looking so Laeliaish?

But can anybody give me a reasonable explanation, why this is (now transferred to?) Cattleya? I've never seen anything looking so Laeliaish?
Thanks Jens.

The taxonomy of this is based on the DNA studies by Dr. Chase where they look at specific markers and determined it to belong to Cattleya. I am a little wary of this renaming as it is still in infancy stage.

I still think it is a Laelia lol

Guldal, there is no logical or scientific reason to reverse 200 years of botanic tradition and lump together Cattleya, Laelia and Sophronitis species. John Lindley decided to separate Laelia from Cattleya because Laelias have 8 pollinia, Cattleyas normally only 4. There are observable differences in size, plant habit, morphology and anatomical details which all add up to the conclusion these genera should be kept separate. Every time I see "Cattleya grandis" or "Cattleya coccinea" in print I inwardly cringe. The truth is, cladistic studies conducted by Wesley Higgins and others are really in their infancy and I seriously doubt that we currently have the knowledge to use such data as a basis for classifying plants. Dr. Carl Withner specialized in his long botanic career in the Cattleyas and their relatives and he never considered for a moment to lump very different orchids together merely because they shared some similar genes.
The truth is, lumping is currently in vogue with some botanists and they currently (and I hope, momentarily) dominate the orchid scene. You could use their logic to call human beings apes, too, but I for one would still like to be considered a member of Homo sapiens.

Latest posts

Back