Cattleya lueddemanniana var. coerulea ‘Michael’ AM/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ndove

Reaction score
Hello! I recently came into ownership of this lovely orchid. I got it from someone who’s had it a really long time but they were not sure of where they purchased it or where it originated from.

I know that Bill Rogerson was the one that had this cultivar awarded. That’s about as far as I’ve gotten.

Anyone know any info about this plant? The tag has no identifying information at all on it.

It did get a little roughed up during shipping so hopefully it settles in nicely soon. I look forward to blooming this beast!

Attachments

• IMG_3036.jpeg
    IMG_3036.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3037.jpeg
    IMG_3037.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Here’s a bloom photo I’ve found while googling.

Attachments

• IMG_3040.jpeg
    IMG_3040.jpeg
    975.4 KB · Views: 0
Hopefully, the plant you acquired will bloom out as beautifull as the one in the photo. Then you will certainly have struck gold!

The evaluation of size can be a bit tricky in photos, in the photos you post, though, the plant seems rather younghish, but that might be an optimal illussion? Did the ones, who provided you with the plant, ever flower it?

Jfyi - and for those of us, leaning close to OCD: the name of the genus starts with a capital letter, the species name with a lowercase letter. In this instance: Cattleya lueddemanniana. A capital letter in the second position of the plant name means, that the plant is a hybrid: Cattleya Little Leopard (C. aclandiae x C. amethystoglossa)

Last edited:
Oh yes I changed it! I understand that about the capitalization it’s just that I’m typing on my iPhone and it thought that word should be capitalized and I didn’t catch it. Thanks!

So I think that it’s just an illusion. This plant is in an 8 inch Tupperware container. It’s growing out of it. The plant is giant. I can put it next to one of my Phals so you can see the difference in size better.

The plant was purchased in 2015. They did bloom it. I have to go dig up the one photo they sent.

Here it is next to my blooming size Phal Jiaho’s Pink Girl

Attachments

• IMG_3041.jpeg
    IMG_3041.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3042.jpeg
    IMG_3042.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Lucky you!l
this clone is a very desirable plant. The photo you showed is from the fishers website and they sell it for quite a bit, maybe #$1300 per division if memory serves me right.

Lucky you!l
this clone is a very desirable plant. The photo you showed is from the fishers website and they sell it for quite a bit, maybe #$1300 per division if memory serves me right.
Oh wow! That’s… insane. I did not pay anywhere near that for it.

I don’t think it “looks youngish” at all. I feel that it is suffering from poor culture, primarily root loss. So much of this plastic container contains media that looks bad to me, very dark and mushy looking.
The media breaks down killing the roots and the plant suffers.
Plus I don’t easily see any evidence of it having bloomed recently. Has it? This could be caused by improper lighting, roots loss or poor culture.
To me the pseudobulbs look stunted, shorter and thinner then they should be. They should be thicker and more robust looking.
I think that the container might not have proper sized drainage holes. This could be impacting the health of the root system and the plants overall health.
It can recover with improved care.

I don’t think it “looks youngish” at all. I feel that it is suffering from poor culture, primarily root loss. So much of this plastic container contains media that looks bad to me, very dark and mushy looking.
Plus I don’t easily see any evidence of it having bloomed recently. Has it? This could be caused by improper lighting, roots loss or poor culture.
To me the pseudobulbs look stunted, shorter and thinner then they should be. They should be thicker and more robust looking.
I think that the container might not have proper sized drainage holes. This could be impacting the health of the root system and the plants overall health.
I do believe you are right… but like I said it also was just shipped and had a bit of a rough trip. The box was handled very roughly. I do plan on repotting it soon. It has bloomed before but I’m not sure how recent. I can’t really tell.

Could I suggest dividing it as well? Something like this in terms of its really nice potential might benefit from division. Ending up with a couple of divisions down the road could prove worthwhile.

It was just in the first photos, it looked "younghish" and small, Big...the comparison photos blew that misconception away.
I wholeheartedly agree with your perception of the plants actual state and think your advice on repotting,, appropriate drainage and light, etc. sound and pertinent.
Unless the plant was left to swelter in the Arizonian desert, was forgot someway along the route by the transporters, or something other unfortunately alike happened and/or it was VERY badly packed, I find it difficult to explain its current state by occurences when underway.
Just go with Big's good advice, Ndove, and I'm sure you will in short time make it grow well and thrive!
Maybe, it might be good to keep in mind, though quite resilient plants, when mature, in my experience Catts sometimes need quite some time to adjust, if moved over geographically disparate conditions and/or timezones (2 years might not be that unusual) Supplementary light might help thie proces along.
Good luck with the growing! 🙂

Last edited:
Thank you all for your replies!! Guess I got mildly lucky with this plant. Hope I can clean it up get it in a new pot and fresh media and get the ol’ girl growing and blooming for me!

Latest posts

Back