Cattleya confusion...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bjorn

Reaction score
Got a collection of Cattleyas some time ago, and it seems as if the labels were quite a bit messed up. Here is another one, It looks a bit like Ludde, but do you have other suggestions?

Not a super picture I am afraid, but at least the colours lok right this time.

Yoyo; Unfortunately CITES does not allow that:rollhappy:
The tag says warnerii, but the leaves do not have that pigmentation that is so common in warnerii. It could come from low light, but :confused:
Mossiae: well that is a suggestion I'll follow, it could be. Will check literature on that first.
I have quite a few Cattleya, but I'll obviously never learn how to keep them (the unifoliate types) apart - what the h... differentiates those plants. Anyone that has a good way of telling what is what?:evil:

Yoyo; Unfortunately CITES does not allow that:rollhappy:
The tag says warnerii, but the leaves do not have that pigmentation that is so common in warnerii. It could come from low light, but :confused:
Mossiae: well that is a suggestion I'll follow, it could be. Will check literature on that first.
I have quite a few Cattleya, but I'll obviously never learn how to keep them (the unifoliate types) apart - what the h... differentiates those plants. Anyone that has a good way of telling what is what?:evil:

I think tag is right.
Here is a similar warnerii

http://www.orchidspecies.com/orphotdir/cattleywarneri.jpg

Isn't it a bit late for luddem. blooming? I have labiatas flowering now!? Jean

JL, I am sure Cattleyas do not respect the books and calendars... This year, my lueddemaniana bloomed in August, one of my gaskelliana in September and my warrscewiczii and the other gaskelliana in October...

on the other hand, I agree with regarding labiata... or jenmanii... check whether single (jenmanii in 99% of cases) or double (labiata i 99% of cases) sheated! this is almost sure not a lueddem (can check the column and teh wings will be missing!) - however a frontal photo would help more than this one!

if you need info regarding unifoliate Cattleyas from Venezuela, there is a pretty good article here: http://www.delfinadearaujo.com/on/on32/pages/catvenezueng.htm

JL, I am sure Cattleyas do not respect the books and calendars... This year, my lueddemaniana bloomed in August, one of my gaskelliana in September and my warrscewiczii and the other gaskelliana in October...

on the other hand, I agree with regarding labiata... or jenmanii... check whether single (jenmanii in 99% of cases) or double (labiata i 99% of cases) sheated! this is almost sure not a lueddem (can check the column and teh wings will be missing!) - however a frontal photo would help more than this one!

if you need info regarding unifoliate Cattleyas from Venezuela, there is a pretty good article here: http://www.delfinadearaujo.com/on/on32/pages/catvenezueng.htm

Yes, I agree, jenmanii second tip, but not mossiae I think. White margin is tipical for warnerii, luddem has yelloow eyes.Flowering time means nothing between artef conditions, my aurea bloomed in March......

dodidoki, jenmanii and labiata are very very similar... a very good clue to separate them is whether single or double sheath is present... (however - as always - you have exceptions in boths cases!)

Thanks for all the advices:)
Some more info: Single sheeted (first thing I looked for,as you rightly pointed out its labiata time now), "wings" on the column, so if absence indicates ludde, well then its not. Unfortunately the flowers have withered now, so details are hard to get, but the leaves look somewhat "rounded" at the tip, which is similar to some of my other plants labelled warnerii (a correct label I think) However time is entirely wrong:confused: BUT timing might get confused for artificially grown plants although I follow natural light cycles - at least to some extent - its getting awfully dark outside here:(.

Ramón; guess you are right, fits with the description of jenmanii in the link. Thanks a lot, its always better to have the tags right.:D

Latest posts

Back