Cattleya eldorado (wallisii)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlaskandFlora

Reaction score
Wanted to share this fun one with you all - Cattleya eldorado bloomed for me just in time for the Ohio Valley Orchid Festival a few weeks back and is still going strong into its 3rd week of flowering. I’ve heard this species is difficult to grow, but it seems to be doing quite well in warm, very bright, and somewhat humid conditions with days in the low 80°s and nights in the low 70°s/high 60°s Fahrenheit. In fact, I cut off some old dried back bulbs to fit it in this basket and even the ugly old bulbs sprouted new growth in these conditions. Only issue is that this particular plant seems to not want to develop good roots unless it finds something to grab onto within the first few centimeters of root growth. Meanwhile, the Cattleyas around it are growing into each others’ pots and causing a massive headache to untangle them all!

The color form is astounding, and to be honest I didn’t even know it was going to come out like this. What a happy surprise, right?

Attachments

• IMG_0689.jpeg
    IMG_0689.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0682.jpeg
    IMG_0682.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0683.jpeg
    IMG_0683.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0946.jpeg
    IMG_0946.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
What a nice surprise to flower this colour form. It is indeed a pentaflamea semialba. The shape is typical for species with the narrow segments. They do like warm winter nights.

Can you take a pic of the sheath with the flowers? Want to see if the flowers open at sheath level or above.

Where did you get it from? I’m surprised they (seller) didn’t note the color form.

And good growing!!

Latest posts

Back