Cattleya intermedia var. orlata

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just remember hearing about morning light versus afternoon light when I was active in bird photography.
Morning light was brightly yellow gold shortly after sunrise.
Afternoon light was richer, warmer and has more or an orange component too it. You can logically figure out how that effects orchid images. Brighter morning shots, deeper, warmer, richer light in the late afternoon. Morning shots brighter and whiter images, afternoon a bit duller and with more of a golden orange or deep reddish orange component.

Very hard to describe but much easier to evaluate projected on a screen!
Djtomp, concentrate on the way that the white “pops” from inside the lip. That white would not really pop so white ‘white’ in an afternoon image.

Nice classic orlata blooms.

The best way to judge correct colors is to look at the white balance (eg background) and the leaf color. If the pics matches both in real life, then likely is the correct flower color.

I find that colors in the direct bright sun is too saturated for the camera. Instead opt for a reflected bright light in shade in the afternoon (between 11 am to 3 pm).

I just remember hearing about morning light versus afternoon light when I was active in bird photography.
Morning light was brightly yellow gold shortly after sunrise.
Afternoon light was richer, warmer and has more or an orange component too it. You can logically figure out how that effects orchid images. Brighter morning shots, deeper, warmer, richer light in the late afternoon. Morning shots brighter and whiter images, afternoon a bit duller and with more of a golden orange or deep reddish orange component.

Very hard to describe but much easier to evaluate projected on a screen!
Djtomp, concentrate on the way that the white “pops” from inside the lip. That white would not really pop so white ‘white’ in an afternoon image.
Love this explanation! The question is on a different cultivar, such as C. Malworth ‘Orchidglade’ that is all soft colors what would the light differences do?

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    294.5 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back