Calcium in Complex Subject :-)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Belton

Reaction score
I'm a Phal person who is dipping their toe into Paphs. I've been saying that for a few years, but it's still true and will be awhile.

I love complex Paphs and have been told many times, A couple times a year just sprinkle a few bits of lime on top or the media because they need extra calcium. Well at the slipper symposium I learned this isn't enough calcium. How do I get extra calcium into my complex Paphs without buying a 50lb bag of crushed coral or something like that? Right now I have some lime dissolving in water and was going to add it to my regular watering. Will that work?

Perhaps Ray will chime in on this subject. He knows far more than I do, but
I've been doing quite well with K-Lite for over a year and all my plants are
doing very well.

Klite is more or less hydroponic fertilizer with higher Ca and low K and P. So it has more than enough Ca for any plant. However, some maintain that Ca in its carbonate form is needed (or at least beneficial) This can come from your water or lime added but you need to watch your pH.
You're are probably opening up a fresh can of worms here, but if you listen to what I say and competely disregard all other comments you'll be ok :rollhappy:
Actually Ca. can be supplied from many different sources..Bone meal for example. Often just plain tap water has enough.
The sprinkling of lime twice a year is still practiced by many growers but more for bringing the pH up again after using much ammonium or Urea in the feed which acidifies the media. Paphs generally don't need more Ca than any other plant but it doesn't hurt to give a bit extra.

.... How do I get extra calcium into my complex Paphs without buying a 50lb bag of crushed coral or something like that? ...
Do you have a feed store nearby? Even though they have 50lb bags of ground oystershells for poultry grit quite often they will bag up & sell smaller amounts for people that have pet parrots.

Yup

Can of worms.:poke:

Stone has it down. Adding supplemental Ca is really a waste of time.

Problem isn't lack of calcium (Ca) but too much potassium (K).

Reduce the K and the plants have no problems accessing Ca from very dilute sources. No potting mix supplementation needed (in fact it can be detrimental).

On Ray's website is the article I wrote for AOS about this phenomena.

I'ts probably been linked on this site too.

This is not specific to Paphs or even orchids generally, but all plants.
Our food crops don't show the same problems because:

1) they are selected for maximizing sugar production to eat.
2) we grow them, harvest, and kill them in less than a year (unlike orchids that we want to grow for many years).

My bromeliads and other non orchid pot plants are growing like crazy with reduced K (no extra Ca needed).

If you don't want to get a big bag of crushed coral or dolomite, just get a small can of crushed oyster shell from your nearest pet shop. Pretty cheap, and will last you a while.

Thanks everybody. The forum stopped sending me notices of your replies. I think it was because I didn't check all of the first ones as they came in.

Water here is very soft, so I might still add a little, but it's good to know that I don't need to go buy that 50lb bag.

Latest posts

Back