C. (S.) coccinea 'Little Devil' AM

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
very nice. for controversy (not involving ramon :) ), do people here think that plants that are known to be 4n should be judged against other same species or hybrids known to be 2n? I know that most plants are not known as to their chromosome counts, i'm just looking for people's opinions where in a perfect world where all counts were known, should plants with different counts/same name be judged only against others of the same chro. counts?

one thought is that once some 4n plants are found/produced/awarded, then judges would never give an award to a 2n plant, as they are just often not as solid/spectacular/colorful?

I think they should all be judged within one class. Like mentioned earlier, it will be too difficult to determine the ploidy level during judging if it is unknown. Also there would be too many classes, one for diploids, one for tetraploids, one for triploids, and what does one do with the aneuploids, should plants that have one extra chromosome go in the same class with plants that have two extra chromosomes or are missing a chromosome or should they all go in separate classes?

It is true that once (natural or artificial) tetraploids get awarded, it is harder to give awards to regular diploids, but I think it just raises the bar... Also size only counts for so many points, and if you compare say a diploid Phal. schillleriana with a tetraploid Phal. schilleriana, the tetraploid definately will have larger flowers, but the overal show of the diploid may be much larger, as it will have a much bigger flower count, so based on that it still could get an award.

Robert

Since not everyone has access (or can afford) tetraploid species, maybe we need to have a "genetically engineered" vs. "non-genetically engineered" designation somewhere in the AOS judging point scales?

Since not everyone has access (or can afford) tetraploid species, maybe we need to have a "genetically engineered" vs. "non-genetically engineered" designation somewhere in the AOS judging point scales?

That might well be a more important issue if gene splicing becomes cheap and easy enough to make it economically feasible.

Latest posts

Back