C. (S.) coccinea 'Little Devil' AM

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdlsreno

Reaction score
One of my C. (S.) coccinea got an AM (82 pts) last Wednesday. It has three spikes with two flower each. Flower has a NS of 6.3 cm.

Ramon :)

C. coccinea 'Little Devil' AM
8253231223_ce3733a8f6_z.jpg

8253231871_cbaa9570bf_z.jpg

very nice. for controversy (not involving ramon :) ), do people here think that plants that are known to be 4n should be judged against other same species or hybrids known to be 2n? I know that most plants are not known as to their chromosome counts, i'm just looking for people's opinions where in a perfect world where all counts were known, should plants with different counts/same name be judged only against others of the same chro. counts?

one thought is that once some 4n plants are found/produced/awarded, then judges would never give an award to a 2n plant, as they are just often not as solid/spectacular/colorful?

very nice. for controversy (not involving ramon :) ), do people here think that plants that are known to be 4n should be judged against other same species or hybrids known to be 2n? I know that most plants are not known as to their chromosome counts, i'm just looking for people's opinions where in a perfect world where all counts were known, should plants with different counts/same name be judged only against others of the same chro. counts?

one thought is that once some 4n plants are found/produced/awarded, then judges would never give an award to a 2n plant, as they are just often not as solid/spectacular/colorful?

If the 4n occurs naturally then it should be judged against the natural species. But if the 4n is artificially created it should be judged in a separate class. I guess it is somewhat like performance enhancing drugs in sports.

Stunning doesn't adequately describe this beauty.

If the 4n occurs naturally then it should be judged against the natural species. But if the 4n is artificially created it should be judged in a separate class. I guess it is somewhat like performance enhancing drugs in sports.

Good idea! Maybe we should do that with sports as well. For example, hold the DRUF (Drug Free) Tour de France in June and the JUP (Juiced Up) Tour in July.

Plants should be judged against the standard. Can you imagine having to guess a plant's ploidy as you judge!!?
BTW Ramon, congrats! Another under the table discovery!? :poke:

That is magnificent and a well earned award.
Can you tell us how you grow it? It seems potted and not mounted?
Thanks

That's really a good question from my point of view!!! I killed at least 6-8 of them already, no question about bringing them to bloom!!! Jean

That's really a good question from my point of view!!! I killed at least 6-8 of them already, no question about bringing them to bloom!!! Jean

That is magnificent and a well earned award.
Can you tell us how you grow it? It seems potted and not mounted?
Thanks

I grow it in my friends green house in CA. Potted in pure white NZ moss in clay pots. With no heating, subdued bright light which keeps it cool, and good clean water (5.5 PH). His place is perfect where the cool moist mist from the pacific rolls in every morning. This makes my car mileage goes through the roof!

Ramon:)

coccinea 4n

Lovely flower and well deserved award.
Mine is at the same stage with several flowers but they vary quite a bit in size - maybe the plant isn't mature enough.
Jean - this new strain of tetraploid coccineas is much easier to grow and way more vigorous than the original 2n species.
Mine grows well on the kitchen windowsill. It is a straight forward as a mini catt hybrid.
Popow has some for sale.
Regards,
David

Mine is at the same stage with several flowers but they vary quite a bit in size - maybe the plant isn't mature enough.
Jean - this new strain of tetraploid coccineas is much easier to grow and way more vigorous than the original 2n species.
Mine grows well on the kitchen windowsill. It is a straight forward as a mini catt hybrid.
Popow has some for sale.
Regards,
David

I got my my latest 'try' from Popow a month ago, so wait and see! (It is mounted, about 20 growths, 5 of them new, but not one single stem showing that the plant had already flowered :eek: ) Jean

coccinea

Jean,
I saw a plant for sale like that on ebay. Good luck -it was pretty impressive.
On the other hand - they now have a 4n coccinea for sale as well!
maybe try them both as an experiment?
Regards,
David

His place is perfect where the cool moist mist from the pacific rolls in every morning.

:wink: ah, cheating! when i tried to expose my early orchids to 'rolling mists' in upstate ny, it was a disaster. fog would start like 3am and then stick around until 10am and some things started rotting, including the only viable flower spike i've had on a laelia speciosa which rotted off where it was coming out of the leaves. i'll bet there are tons of orchids that love the rolling mists in your area!

Latest posts

Back