Quantcast

C. Gisela

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

KyushuCalanthe

Just call me Tom
Reaction score
Kyushu, Japan; warm temperate/subtropical climate
Here is a little cutie, the artificial hybrid between C. parviflorum v. parviflorum and C. macranthos. It is a small flower, not more than 2 inches across. Like C. parviflorum, it has a sweet smell. This is my first year with it, so I have no idea how it will respond to the hot climate here.

NYEric

Reaction score
When I read the thread title I was thinking, isn't that a Frosch cross from nice cool Bavaria!? Good luck and thanx for posting. It looks to be doing ok.

KyushuCalanthe

Just call me Tom
Reaction score
Kyushu, Japan; warm temperate/subtropical climate
When I read the thread title I was thinking, isn't that a Frosch cross from nice cool Bavaria!? Good luck and thanx for posting. It looks to be doing ok.
As the song goes, "It's a small, small world..."

Yup, all Cyps with the exception of C. formosanum, C. japoniucm, C. kentuckiense, and perhaps a couple more don't belong here in southern Japan (think Atlanta, GA and you'll be close to the temps here). I am a Cyp madman, therefore I try to grow them anyhow. Gisela is perhaps the most vigorous Cyp hybrid made to date, so I have hopes that vigor will help carry it through the rough spots! I've managed to keep C. macranthos going for years now (it don't bloom though), so maybe I can keep this one going too.

kentuckiense

Debaser
Reaction score
I'm not big on Cyp. hybrids but man, that one is really really nice. I'll be moving to WV in a couple weeks and I should have room for a Cyp. bed, so I may have to pick up a few of these. Thanks for the photos!

Reaction score
Very nice, Tom - Gisela grows like a weed here in NW CT where they do well with 100 F temps in the summer and keep on spreading. It might do very well for you after all.

Ron

Latest posts