Bulbophyllum Mesa Verde (Star of Sumatra x virescens)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Drorchid

This is a new Bulbophyllum hybrid that opened for us. It is a cross between Bulb. Star of Sumatra (= sumatranum x echinolabium) and virescens. The flowers are almost as big as a straight echinolabium, but have inherited the color of it's virescens parent, with an interesting multi-colored hinged lip. This is a first bloom on this plant, but it has 4 flowers on one inflorescence. I am expecting when the plant is more mature it may get 6 or more flowers per inflorescence.

And yes it stinks! I describe it as a combination of "The dead mouse behind the fridge" and a hint of mint!

And I named it "Mesa Verde" as I was just there on my vacation, Mesa Verde means "Green Table" and as one of the parents was "virescens" (which also means green), and these flowers are kind of a light yellow to green in color, I gave it that name.

Robert

Last edited by a moderator:
Some pictures of Mesa Verde, which inspired me to name this hybrid :)

And finally, yes that is me!

Robert

I was just thinking the very same thing Dot. It's a beautiful flower. Perhaps one has to get really close to
detect the dead mouse with mint.

I'd be interested in what you learned about MV.

Latest posts

Back