Bud watch; sandie

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rick, as long as you are happy with it, that is all matters then. Your flower(shoulder form and petal length) and growths are a bit off from the real thing I have seen or known. Real sanderianum has nearly veinless, soft shinny/glossy leaves. Have I bought and bloomed a faked "sanderianum"? Yes! It was "Jacob's Ladder"Xself from a long time CA grower over a decade ago. It was a nice hybrid but not what I paid (a good sum of money)for.

Is yours a new breed of sanderianum? If so, I would not bet on it. There are rumors on the street, so buyer be warned! Some people may agree with me, it may be a back crossed hybrids...like I said, as long as you are happy with it, then it is all good.

Peter, I was talking about the vein(white stripes) on the leaves.

ozpaph, to me, this one and some on internet posts look more like a first generation sanderianum hybrids back-crossed to sanderianum, so 75% of the blood/DNA will be sanderianum. The advantage of such cross is faster growing and bigger shoulder (perhaps rothschildianum in the blood....), well, some good clones of first generation hybrids even look as good as those "sanderianum"...and that is my opinion and few others I have been talking to.

Agree or disagree, personally I just prefer the old classic form of sanderianum, smaller shoulder but with the super long twisting petals.

Here it is in March 2015 with 4 flowers.
Paph%20sanderianum1-1_zpsfyhy7s1p.jpg

Ricks plant looks like sand to me but i agree some of the flower pics of newer plants out of asia appear to be hybrid backcrosses with the sanderianum name.

Yes it is indeed the same plant. I think its well documented environment factors play a major rule in the outcome of any flowering plant. December in Houston is the beginning of our coldest time of the year where in March people are starting to hit the beach. So, first blooming started in the cold and moved towards the warm. This time flipped, started out warm and ending in the cold. The lighting is totally different, watering schedule flipped around, on and on...

Last edited:
Looks like sanderianum to me as well. Great job. Hard to find multigrowth plants like that.

Looking better everyday
28fa0143a9020cffc538e99471f83b1f.jpg

The sugar glands are working overtime on this winter blooming!
9dbbfd91dd0f66a55857a99c5b53d122.jpg

I have never seen this much moisture on a sandie's pouch nor any it's hybrids. All three pouches are ringing wet!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Nice!
So who is considered the most reputable sandie breeder?

Sugar sweat, draws ants, the pollinater, I'm finding my dendrobiums and cattyleas also produce it

Oz
Sam is the man, and thus far has some of the best orchids I have ever ordered.

I don't know anything about ants, drawn to or pollinating of sanderianum. I never have heard what pollinate sandies but I suspect it would be a bee or fly specie drawn to the scent of the sugar. Theory the petals act as a guide for such a pollinator is a possibility. Flies/bees do circle /hover/circle and they could follow the petals up to the pouch.

Hell hasth frozen over... Troy and I agree on something :p;):D

I don't know anything about ants, drawn to or pollinating of sanderianum. I never have heard what pollinate sandies but I suspect it would be a bee or fly specie drawn to the scent of the sugar. Theory the petals act as a guide for such a pollinator is a possibility. Flies/bees do circle /hover/circle and they could follow the petals up to the pouch.

Or the long petals act as a bridge pathway for "walkers".

Back