Bud watch; sandie

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As great as this discussion has gone, unfortunately I must inject another couple of PICs:(

Paph%20sanderianum%20War%20Horse3_zpserbqhpvb.jpg

Paph%20sanderianum%20War%20Horse1_zpscckv3n7d.jpg

Paph%20sanderianum%20War%20Horse2_zpsp2wj6e1q.jpg
:D

Absolutely incredible Rick. I wish I could see it in person. Fantastic plant too. Looks like you will be seeing flowers regularly from now on.

I could see why Tom was questioning it early on, but once the flowers have fully developed it just looks like a typical sanderianum to my eyes.

What did the petal length end up at?

WOWSERS!!!
Any cultural tips? Mine is looking strong, but not much happening. I suppose patience is the key.

Absolutely incredible Rick. I wish I could see it in person. Fantastic plant too. Looks like you will be seeing flowers regularly from now on.

I could see why Tom was questioning it early on, but once the flowers have fully developed it just looks like a typical sanderianum to my eyes.

What did the petal length end up at?
The petal length is right at 21 inches shorter then the first blooming. I didn't record the length on the tag but it seems they were in the mid 20's
Culture: keep them damp at all times. Here is a seedling from 12/2008 and I dunk it often
10189ae7e323ced83f9b8d0bf374fce8.jpg

The blooming plant is in a 5 inch aircone, large size bark,sponge rock and charcoal with NZ moss scattered throughout the pot and a 1/2 inch layer on top; it doesn't dry out.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The photography was great until post 88.

I did not know they could take so much water.
Great plant.

The photography was great until post 88.

I did not know they could take so much water.
Great plant.

Yeah I agree, cell phone PICs don't alway come out the way you want them too. I'll have to try to re-size it and flip it 90 degrees. Its kind of a ***** to focus on closeups too.

Are you gonna get the toothpicks and get busy with pollen?

My phone has same issues.

It's not awarded beceause it's not flat and round,I recommend breeding it with a bulldog, back cross to bulldog 15 - 20 times you will get an award

Even with more photos and info, I still think it is a good hybrid, Rick. It is just as good as mkxsand. Good luck with the future breeding.

So I made it down to the Elizabeth Miller Horticulture Library last night prior to our meeting and looked up "The unique pollination mechanisms of Paphiopedilum sanderianum (Rchb. f) Stein [1990]
Kramer, R.D."

Epic over searching for nothing... essentially in the article he hypothesizes that the long petals of sanderianum are for ants to access, but he has noted zero observations of such an act. He also theorizes that ants or flies are attracted to the nectar she produces, but again no observations nor proof.
"Expectation is premeditated disappointment." - Sogyal Rinpoche

We need some one to go sit in the jungle of Borneo and just watch a sandie day in, day out. Volunteers??

Cheers
JAB

So I made it down to the Elizabeth Miller Horticulture Library last night prior to our meeting and looked up "The unique pollination mechanisms of Paphiopedilum sanderianum (Rchb. f) Stein [1990]
Kramer, R.D."

Epic over searching for nothing... essentially in the article he hypothesizes that the long petals of sanderianum are for ants to access, but he has noted zero observations of such an act. He also theorizes that ants or flies are attracted to the nectar she produces, but again no observations nor proof.
"Expectation is premeditated disappointment." - Sogyal Rinpoche

We need some one to go sit in the jungle of Borneo and just watch a sandie day in, day out. Volunteers??

Cheers
JAB

That is absolutely bizarre. He wrote a whole paper on the unique pollination mechanisms of sanderianum without a shred of evidence? It was nothing but an untested hypothesis? Now I know why this paper wasn't included in the paper on slipper orchid pollinators.

Thanks for your efforts.

Happy to assist Rick in some field observations on sanderianum.

Sadly many scientific things nowadays get passed and then found out facts were fudged. Great flowers! Could set up a small trail cam tightly zoomed and just record specific movement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers
JAB

One thing that's been used so that you don't have to literally sit there for days on end is applying a little of that glue from mouse/rat sticky traps to a group of flowers.

If you put it in strategic areas of the flower you can focus on collection of the insects that actually acquire pollen and then you can tell which insects are there to mooch food and which are actually pollinating the flower.

I did this for a Bulbophylum blumei that was attracting some small flies to it when I set it out of my GH during cleaning. The flies that got stuck in the glue were all a single species of phorid fly. Now Tennessee, USA is not the natural habitat of B. blumei, but I think its pretty wild that these flies were attracted to the blumei flowers and actually were able to acquire pollen.

BTW I can never smell anything from these flowers so not sure what even attracts the flies to this flower.

Latest posts

Back