Blooming around the house...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WolfDog1 (C. Williams)

Reaction score
I haven't posted any pictures in quite a while and figured I might as well since I have some things blooming right now:

First is a plant I got from Ernie when he was at the Oregon Orchid Soceity meeting giving a presentation. It is Paph. Wellesleyanum forma album X Paph In-Charm White 'In-Charm.' I took it to judging today and it was nominated, but ended up not being scored. There are a few problems with it and the judges are looking forward to the second blooming of this plant....me too.

Second is a plant I got from Mark and Joan from Orchidaceae in Walla Walla, WA when I visited there back in September. It is a new hybrid that I have only seen one picture of and that was in Olaf's article in the new Orchid Digest. The cross is Paph gratrixianum X Paph henryanum and is called Paph Vietenryanum. If I can find a picture of the Paph Doll's Kolobold that I got from Orchidaceae I will post that too, however, I may not have taken one....ugh.

Next is Paph lowii. One that I've had for sometime now.

Finally is another one from Ernie that has a really large flower. The cross is Paph Yosemite Moon x Paph Hsinying Majakun 'Nina' SM/TPS

I hope you enjoy these.

Craig

Attachments

• Blooming 11.1.2009 002.L.jpg
    Blooming 11.1.2009 002.L.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 51
  • Blooming 11.1.2009 009.L.jpg
    Blooming 11.1.2009 009.L.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 58
  • Blooming 11.1.2009 018.jpg
    Blooming 11.1.2009 018.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 40
  • Blooming 11.1.2009 021.W.jpg
    Blooming 11.1.2009 021.W.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 38
I'm not sure. I think it was one of the last ones that I took from Ernie after his talk. I do think when I saw that it was a Wellesleyan cross I snatched it up. I think it was going to be an OOS plant, but I decided to keep all the ones that I got. I'll be donating some of them back to the society, like the Yosemite Moon cross for auction this December. If I thought the society could get enough for the Wellesleyan cross I might 'sell' it back to the society and auction it off next month too......hmm.

Craig

Craig,

Thanks for rubbing my nose in it. :) The synsepal on the W X ICW really fills that baby out. Cool! Likin' the ones that weren't ours too. The Vietenryanum is especially neat.

-Ernie

The Vietenryanum is fabulous. Just what I'm looking for. I love the gratrixianum shape and the henry colors. Beautiful. Where did you get it?

Nice Craig!!
I have one of those henry x gratrix plants too, it's in bud & should be opening soon! I want to say that I read somewhere that the manmade hybrid will be called something else, the parents of this breeding are carrying clonal names, therefore they may not be going under this name. Darn , just did a quick search, didn't come up with anything. :mad: Can anyone help me out?

Rose,

I just checked the RHS site and it lists this as Paph Vietenryanum and also states that it is a natural hybrid, but only with gratrixianum as the seed parent and henryanum as the pollen parent. Also in the latest Orchid Digest, the special Paphiopedilum issue, Olaf Gruss uses a picture of this hybrid on page 219. I do not know if the RHS will register a man made version of the cross with a different name, but for now I only have the RHS and Olaf to go by, thus Paph Vietenryanum.

No matter what it is called, I really like it and a very pleased with the plant that I got. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I am mine.

As an aside, I bought ANOTHER henryanum cross from Ernie when he was in Portland. It is Paph Tropical Magic and is primulinum x henryanum and I cannot wait for it to get in bud and bloom. For now it's a single growth plant with a start.

Craig

Last edited:
Rose....
. I do not know if the RHS will register a man made version of the cross with a different name, but for now I only have the RHS and Olaf to go by, thus Paph Vietenryanum.
No matter what it is called, I really like it and a very pleased with the plant that I got. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I am mine.

I checked the RHS website too, before posting, that would be too much info for them, so I'm going with that too! I could just shot myself for not writing it down or book marking the other name. Mine is about half open & has some spotting that's creating vertical lines in the dorsal! :drool: I'll post a pic in a couple of days.

As an aside, I bought ANOTHER henryanum cross from Ernie when he was in Portland. It is Paph Tropical Magic and is primulinum x henryanum and I cannot wait for it to get in bud and bloom. For now it's a single growth plant with a start. Craig

I have a Tropical Magic from Ross, nice cross!
Good to have you back!

Latest posts

Back