besseae 'Carlisle'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, you're very dedicated to water it twice a day. However, being in a net pot, it won't have any chance of becoming water-logged. Plus, as the water drains out, it draws in more fresh air to the root zone....giving the plant the best of everything....plenty of water and plenty of air. I'm pretty sure there's no sphagnum in the mix. It should be perlite and CHC only.

BTW: As with all besseae, winter (cool weather season), bloomings will have more saturated colour without the yellow fleck marks on the lower half of the petals. Ideally, to get the best colour, you want cool temps and bright light. In places with cold; bright winters (Winnipeg?), it's easy to get the best colour saturation.

Also, I've recently had some experience with damage caused by over-feeding calcium. Using rain water, you will need to feed some; but, be sure you don't overdo it. If you want to be sure there's enough magnesium, add some epsom salts to your fertilizer solution. My personal feeling is that you should use the CalMag at every 3rd or 4th feeding, instead of every 2nd one. Just my 2 cents, based on a disastrous calcium toxicity event last year.

Yeah I figured the net pot would allow alot of drying to happen throughout the day. I have it right next to a kovachii which demands dedication, so by extension I water the besseae just as frequently. Once I repot I'll stop watering as often.
We have cold winters here which can be bright, but day length is quite short. I'm sure a winter blooming would improve on the colour, it certainly did on my Don Wimber.
I'll keep an eye on the calcium, thanks for the tip John

Thanks, Dan. I figured the plant needed to be watered more often in a basket. I don't think I have the patience!

I hear you Dot. The heat here has forced me to keep everything from drying out, which means more frequent watering than I'd like. I think a bigger clay pot may be more moisture retentive and cool the root zone as well.

Last edited:
Wow fantastic flower nice big full bloom congrats. It's excellent not seen one this good for a very long time.

Latest posts

Back