besseae 'Carlisle'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dandrobium

Reaction score
So its almost fully open, but I couldn't wait :) Quite pleased so far as it is already branching for me on my first blooming. The heat has been incredible recently for this time of year, so I think this has had a bit of an effect on the colour. I will update as time progresses. Overall, very happy! Many thanks to John & all the culture info from him and others!!

20170608_080012web.jpg

20170608_080143web.jpg

Very nice, Dan! Getting a side branch on a 2 growth plant is a good sign that it's very happy with your culture. Congratulations! The heat will have affected the flower quality a bit; so, just imagine the quality you'll get from it this winter/next spring! The petals are nice and wide; but, those pointy tips indicate to me that there is room for even more expansion. As it gets bigger, it'll be more likely to fill out it's petals even more.

I've never exhibited the mother plant and I don't know if any of the people who have a piece of this clone have ever exhibited it. It's only a matter of time until somebody coaxes it to produce it's best, stunning bloom and then get it to a judging. IMO, it will be awarded by somebody, soon.

Very nice. One of my favourites

Sent from my iPad using CrappaTapatalkApp

Thank you all for the comments!

I'm interested in how you are growing this -- how often do you water it?

I usually water it twice a day; morning & late afternoon. It gets brisk air movement and windows on either end of the sunroom are typically open unless temps drop significantly in the evening. I use rainwater and typically alternate between dilute 12-4-8 Miracle Gro and Cal-Mag. I actually haven't taken the plant out of the pot since receiving it, but it looks like small CHC & perlite mixture with some sphagnum. I topdressed with sphagnum as it was doing the besseae climb. The exposed roots from the net pot always looked happy, so I left well-enough alone. Following this blooming, I'll likely move it to either a wide clay pot I found or a dusty bonsai pot thats looking for a purpose.

Here's a couple more shots showing it in the ebb & flow trays I use to water everything in place. It makes watering so much easier without taking everything to my bathtub :D

20170607_202942web.jpg

20170608_183920web.jpg

Wow, you're very dedicated to water it twice a day. However, being in a net pot, it won't have any chance of becoming water-logged. Plus, as the water drains out, it draws in more fresh air to the root zone....giving the plant the best of everything....plenty of water and plenty of air. I'm pretty sure there's no sphagnum in the mix. It should be perlite and CHC only.

BTW: As with all besseae, winter (cool weather season), bloomings will have more saturated colour without the yellow fleck marks on the lower half of the petals. Ideally, to get the best colour, you want cool temps and bright light. In places with cold; bright winters (Winnipeg?), it's easy to get the best colour saturation.

Also, I've recently had some experience with damage caused by over-feeding calcium. Using rain water, you will need to feed some; but, be sure you don't overdo it. If you want to be sure there's enough magnesium, add some epsom salts to your fertilizer solution. My personal feeling is that you should use the CalMag at every 3rd or 4th feeding, instead of every 2nd one. Just my 2 cents, based on a disastrous calcium toxicity event last year.

Back