A Visit to Piping Rock Orchids (pic heavy)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
Well, this is going to cover more than just paphiopedilums, but I am posting here since there are more pictures of paphiopedilums than other genera.

I bought two bean leaf neofinetia from a Canadian vendor (florapeculia I believe), and a bunch of paphs (three in bloom, two dark vini, one of which is posted here, and hangianum hybrid) from Glen.

I forgot to buy variegated leafed clivia. Dang it!

I loved the bright orange flowered phrag at the front of his garage. You had to see them in person as the color was just glowing even from a distance! It was quite something.
Also, the freaky looking deformed rothchildianum flower. If it is quarunteed to flower like that everytime, I would have bought it for fun. :)

ppr_zpsuge3sabl.jpeg

ppr1_zpslbah2ima.jpeg

ppr2_zpssxghm2dy.jpeg

ppr3_zpszr9s15m1.jpeg

ppr5_zpsylv1mzw1.jpeg

ppr6_zpsxnptlyth.jpeg

ppr7_zpsw5al4mly.jpeg

ppr8_zpsobilnyqk.jpeg

ppr9_zpsydjrngsz.jpeg

ppr10_zpsxc9scmjv.jpeg

Second Set

Starting with St. Swithin x rothchildianum

ppr11_zpsrylwvyil.jpeg

and this one is mine now

ppr12_zpsswgas4o2.jpeg

ppr13_zps6jceeabo.jpeg

ppr15_zpsfu1q2fry.jpeg

Deformed, but it smelled very nice, and I grabbed it hoping for better flowers in the future,

ppr14_zpsp4necf46.jpeg

Back porch/yard where lunch was served.

ppr16_zps3njv6q7h.jpeg

Glen's specimen sized neo. The guest speaker was trying it on his head.

ppr17_zpsmszimk4b.jpeg

ppr18_zpswkdwhu6v.jpeg

ppr20_zpszajlxquc.jpeg

A beautifully colored Cattleya! I wanted it badly! :)

ppr21_zpspbsnqjqn.jpeg

Mr. Decker throwing himself, no, delivering a talk with passion. :)

ppr22_zpslmtbt3jv.jpeg

I want that devil roth! What are the variegated ones?

Yeah, I know, right? That was the first thing that caught my eyes when I entered the paphiopedilum greenhouse. That was the only cool flower on that spike. :)

The variegated plants are all clivia. Dwarf form with common orange flowers but with super special leaves! :)

Then the next picture right above the miltoniopsis are cymbidiums. More than half of them are sinense, then some ensifolium, and a handful of goeringii.

I left the greenhouse before getting into more trouble. :D

That roth is crazy! Looks like you had a good day for it. Terry K (Florapeculia) is a good guy and has wonderful plants. I would have enjoyed being there.

That roth is crazy! Looks like you had a good day for it. Terry K (Florapeculia) is a good guy and has wonderful plants. I would have enjoyed being there.

Yeah, he seemed like a great person, and that is part of the reasons I bought two neos. Others being I've always wanted some bean leafed neos and the price was good, and hardly anyone else was buying his plants that came all the way down there across the border.

I wanted the intense pink one in bloom, but it was a bit over my range given that I have something similar in my collection already.

I was surprised how unpopular neofinetia was that day. I felt very bad for Terry.

Maybe people already have neos, or they are not into something too small.
I heard this funny conversation of an old couple sitting in front of me during his presentation.
The wife was having a close look at one neo plant that was being passed around in the audience, and then the husband while looking at his wife who was so excited and curious about the plant, said to her, "Don't get too attached". :rolleyes:

Maybe she is already a crazy plant hoarder, or he's just not a supportive partner.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics!

Looks like you had fun!

Yep, although I could have had more fun if I had more space to fit in more plants.

Glen had a few divisions of an awarded Harold Koopowitz, but I was shocked to see how big the leaves were, both the length and the width.
I gave it a lot of thoughts, and then gave up on it. :(

Also, I'm not into multis, but I almost got that Julius.
The flowers were beautiful, huge, and the plant was surprisingly small, barely about 15 in across.

Oh, well...It is also nice to leave a bit to be desired for the future.

I did buy some nice stuff. Two Lynleigh Koopowitz indouble bud, and these are made with delenatii var. dunkel. I am very much looking forward to see how the flowers would turn out.
Then a couple of interesting parvi hybrids that I've never heard of. So that's also very interesting. :rollhappy:

Thanks. Paintball has been a professional sport, with a National circuit since the 80's. I have played on teams that have won and placed 2nd at the World Cup. However, I took the bus to the last event in Cleveland. :)

It was, indeed!
The weather was very pleasant, and it was nice to just get out of the city and see some different scenery in a while.
Plus, all the shopping at the nursery was icing on the cake. hahaha

Latest posts

Back