A Name?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperKing

Madd Virologist
Reaction score
Who can be the first to give me the correct ID/ name for this hybrid?
p1060192f.jpg

I just love this little guy. It really puts out!
p1060195.jpg

Here's a closeup:
p1060197y.jpg

Very pretty and I'm thrilled. I'm gonna put a new name on my list of wanted phrags.

I tried to figure it out, but couldn't. I think it has some schlimii, one of the caudatums, maybe caricinum and/or boisserianum...

Albopurpureum?

Whatever it is, it's really pretty!

Albopurpureum....Dot you got it! These flowers are so often confused with Schroederae. Goggle either name and you find both flowers because so many have their plants mislabeled

Jo,
You're right it is graceful like a lady

Albopurpureum....Dot you got it! These flowers are so often confused with Schroderae. Goggle either name and you find both flowers because so many have their plants mislabeled

Then how do you know you have Albopurpureum? What are the distinguishing characteristics?

Albopurpureum....Dot you got it! These flowers are so often confused with Schroederae. Goggle either name and you find both flowers because so many have their plants mislabeled
Wow! What's my prize? :poke:

Phrag. Albopurpureum
|- Phrag. Dominianum
| |- Phrag. caudatum
| |_ Phrag. caricinum
|_ Phrag. schlimii

Kevin, this is Schroederae. A much larger flower, all that I've seen are darker in color but that might be arguable and a much larger plant. I will try to photograph the two together so you can see.
p1060174m.jpg

updated picture

Here are the two together. Look at the width of the leaves and size of the flowers to see the difference
p1060234.jpg

John M. has made an interesting proposal, also when I don't like the using of the speciesname ecuadorense (it is really a synonym of pearcei).
In the past very often clones were in culture labeled as ecuadorense, which were in truth richteri.

This hybrid could be the cross between Schroederae and richteri.

Here as an example another cross schlimii X richteri = Phrag. Wössen

PhragmipediumWssen-richteriXschlimiiGRUSSe.jpg

You can see the similar colour and also twisted petals.

Best greetings

Olaf

I thought of albopurpureum but it seemed different from the pictures I have of it. The good news: I have one and I ain't no girlie. :)

I like the subtle colour of these flowers. I guess there is a trend for breeding darker flowers but I think the colour really suits.
I’ve just added this one to my wants list.

Regards, Mick

Latest posts

Back