2014 NCOS Paph Forum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Staying at one of the hotels on New York Avenue north of the arboretum is probably fine for most people. Personally, I don't feel safe in the area.

Under no circumstances would I walk, much less stay, in the area directly southeast of the arboretum. It has some of the most dangerous neighborhoods in DC (e.g. Trinidad, which is known for gang violence). Also, I wouldn't walk or stay anywhere in DC east of the Anacostia River. This area is known mostly for crime, although there are lots of DC programs right now trying to revitalize the area. Maybe the area will get better in the coming years.

That all being said, I have been to the arboretum many many times and I have always felt safe there.

--Stephen

The subway is metro rail, and from Dulles you take a metro bus to and from metro rail stations to Dulles airport. Commonly used by people using dulles airport. National airport is very convenient, directly across river from dc. Metro rail, being in national capital, is very clean and safe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not concerned about the neighborhoods. I get around cities pretty easily. I just didn't know how much of a hassle it would be. I appreciate the tips.

If you guys in the US were or are on a tight budget would you consider going to this or another event?

I was the supplies vendor there two years ago - my only time attending, so far, and my only slipper-only event - and I thought that that it was one of the most worthwhile orchid events I've been to.

If you want to attend, but don't want to rent a car, flying in to Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA) is the easiest. It has a subway stop, which makes getting into the city convenient.

You can fly into Dulles as well, but you have to catch a private shuttle from the airport to the nearest subway stop. More info here:
http://www.washfly.com/flyer_bus_schedule.htm

To get to the arboretum, you can take the subway to Union Station and catch a taxi to the arboretum. It's a 3-mile (10-15 minute) taxi ride. I would strongly suggest you not try to walk from a metro stop to the arboretum, as you would have to cut through several extremely rough neighborhoods.

Please keep in mind that the National Arboretum is not in a very good part of DC. I would recommend NOT staying nearby. There are plenty of good metro accessible hotels in the area, although you're going to pay more staying in downtown DC than you are if you stay at one of the airport hotels.

--Stephen

Another option is to fly in to Baltimore-Washington Airport (BWI)- there may be cheaper flights.

Then take the bus to the metro: http://www.wmata.com/bus/timetables/md/b30.pdf

or the train to the metro: http://www.bwiairport.com/en/travel/ground-transportation/trans/marc

Update: I was able to pre-order flasks from Hengduan, so if anyone else wants to there is still time. You can e-mail the sales address in the catalog and pick up and pay for the items at the forum.

Oh come on Eric! Dont give me that bull. Strap on your snow shoes, start walking now. You can probably hitch hike with a bunch of snow plows till you get to Delaware or Maryland, then call me and i will get you. We are going!

Latest posts

Back